• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fluval E Advanced Electronic Heater, 300 W

Goose157

Hi all....
Well - i am in the process of getting ancillary items for my upcoming ‘bigger’ tank hopefully summertime...
Next on the ever growing list is a heater....
I was originally going down the Hydor inline route but not so sure....
Anyway i have seen some glowing yt vids on the Fluval e....
The tank i have in mind is in the 200-300 ltr range ......just wondering what people’s experiences are on these and other heaters??
Would it be prudent to go for 1 say 300 watt of perhaps double up a couple of 200’s??
Cheers
Chris

Hi and thanks ... I was thinking too it makes good sense to have a backup....thanks for the reply
Chris

i bought some hydor inline knockoffs, the ones with the digital display, they are £30 each, they seem fine so far but it's still early days, and you have to calibrate them with a thermometer.

I've always followed Eheim's guide for heater wattage/aquarium volume
eg,
150 watt for aquariums of 200-300 litres
With the addition of substrate & hardscape, actual water volume may drop significantly

I use an Eheim 150 watt in my 90cm x 45cm x 53cm tank, ambient is 60-65F, tank runs 75-76F (or 77-79F depending on fish)
Should the heater fail & stick ON, it will take considerable time to overheat the tank (given ambient temp I'm sceptical it will even reach 90F)

(Sorry no comment on the Fluval E)

I run a 900 litre with two 300W heaters and even just one keeps the temperature where I want it. The second one is for insurance, especially for me not plugging in a heater after a water change as that's the most common that's happened to me.

1x300W will be more than enough, two smaller will do fine as well. It's up to you. I am heating up a 100-120 litre with one 300W right now as that's what I have spare but it's overkill as I can heat up 9 times the size with the same.....

Heaters are the most unreliable equipment and the things I've changed/bought most often over the years. So buy what you like. I've tried several brands, each heater eventually failed one way or another. The last few years I've been using Eheim heaters, so far so good. I also have an ancient chinese brand heater that's the only old heater still working like a champ,...lol.

The lit screen is nice in that it's easy to see the temperature, but it does also stand out. They have the option to mount them facing straight out or at an angle so you can direct it to face the side glass which is what I do - depends if you can see the tank side to read the temp though.

Hi..i am a new user here. I have cadet one and this 1kw wall heater is perfect for smaller rooms and will produce comfortable and steady heat. This heater uses a fan to distribute the heat that it creates and it is easy to turn on and off using a simple switch.

The lit screen is nice in that it's easy to see the temperature, but it does also stand out. They have the option to mount them facing straight out or at an angle so you can direct it to face the side glass which is what I do - depends if you can see the tank side to read the temp though.
Yes its a double edged sword...lol....i like the idea of a display though it would be good if you could switch it off - knowing how tech is advancing may be the next out will be remote controlled (;)
Cheers

So bought the e 200 watt as this will be ok in my 90 ltr (needed one as the existing 100watt was not performing well this winter) with the thought when I get the bigger tank I will use the 200 plus a back up 100-200 watt....
The e200 seems to be a great bit of kit and no flow errors so far !!
Cheers Chris

Back