• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fluval 406

Onoma1

I have acquired a Fluval 406 and wondered if the background noise it generates is a feature or a bug?

The pump can be heard even when the cabinet doors are closed. The noise seems to be generated both by vibration and by movement of water in the filter. I have replaced the impeller and cleaned it ...without any real impact. It seems to have been very well cared for and looks like it's almost new. It's been running for four nights.

I have only used a new Aquael Ultra (silent), a second hand JBL Crystal (acceptable hum when placed on polystyrene), and a second hand Oase Biomaster (slight hum) filters. I do not have much to compare against.

Does anyone on the forum have any advice? Is the 406 just an inherently noisy filter, should I wait, or could I adjust the filter to eliminate the noise?

I have the 307 and found it choc a block with unessasary media for a planted tank . I ditched the nitrate phosphate sponges and noise wise l find it ok slight humming at night when no tv on but not bothersome . You could try reducing media as its got the prefilter . Stand on a mat maybe.

Fluvals marketing says the 7 series is up to 25% quieter compared to the 6 series.

My 307/407 are silent in a closed cabinet from 6 feet away but entirely possible that a 6 series that is 25% louder could be audible. If you have a closed cabinet, there are various measures you can take like sound absorbing pads pasted on the sides of the cabinet, door seals on the cabinet doors, and putting the filter on a thick sound absorbing pad as well

Thanks for the advice and help. The tank is just next to my desk so the noise is really distracting.

The filter is second hand and no more than two years old. It looks to be in very good condition. I have just replaced the impeller and spindle and removed the media (alfragrog) and replaced it with a foam filter media. I have also placed it on a sound dampening mat (homemade). The noise has reduced (slightly) however is still noisy.

My Fluval 307 is quiet, thought still audible [in a closed cabinet]. However, I found the pipes can generate a hum if they touch a solid surface. I place some foam between the pipes and back of the stand and that reduced the noise substantially.

I consider my 207 to be "silent" because I can't hear it over the household ambient background noise with no cabinet doors on the tank stand. I don't notice it when sitting 6' away, however if it was in my very quiet bedroom I would consider it noisy and annoying.

I find that my canister filters are louder when clean, but quiet down once dirty with sound deadening sludge :)

Back