• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fluval 3.0 alternatives

Personally, I don’t hate the Fluval. It can be tweaked many ways. I just don’t like the yellow/green tone. Is it a problem if I lower the Warm White setting without any problems for the plants ? I think this will reduce the yellowish tone.

It is now running on:

Red 100 / blue 5 / Cold, Pure and Warm white at 100%
Fluval's run at 6500 kelvin which is daylight spectrum, anything else will show/accunuate a artificial colour, a greenish tone might come from the glass your tank is made of unless your have a optiwhite glass made tank of course.

Is it a problem if I lower the Warm White setting without any problems for the plants ? I think this will reduce the yellowish tone.
Reducing that channel should help the yellow cast.
It will probably reduce the total output of the light by some as the warm white leds make up a decent portion of the overall leds.
Unless you are running your light at really low percentages (which you dont seem to be), I dont think it will be a problem.
Knock down the warm white until you think it looks a bit better and maybe bump up the blue a smidge :thumbup:

Fluval's run at 6500 kelvin which is daylight spectrum
From what I understand kelvin is a very... wishy washy term that doesnt really translate well to modern day lights.
Ive seen all manner of lights sold as "6500 kelvin" and they have looked entirely different.
I dont think kelvin is a very useful number any more for our purposes.

Morning all,
Personally, I don’t hate the Fluval light on the country, I love the how the app interacts with the light it makes it quite customisable, mine is the non plant version I think this makes a difference?? it came with the tank model number is A13247, like I said I’m not sure if that makes a difference, I’m considering getting a Fluval plant to run alongside my original or get another model that’s the same as mine or go as @Kevin2016 has done and try something different such as the chihiros wrgb 2. I’m currently moving the light between the back and front occasionally as the spread if light isn’t suitable for the plants and some are struggling because of that.
The light is great for starting up a planted tank or using with a non planted tank this is just my opinion, and it may be the case of a bad workmen always blames his tools on my behalf 😆😁
Cheers
Steve.

Morning all,
Personally, I don’t hate the Fluval light on the country, I love the how the app interacts with the light it makes it quite customisable, mine is the non plant version I think this makes a difference?? it came with the tank model number is A13247, like I said I’m not sure if that makes a difference, I’m considering getting a Fluval plant to run alongside my original or get another model that’s the same as mine or go as @Kevin2016 has done and try something different such as the chihiros wrgb 2. I’m currently moving the light between the back and front occasionally as the spread if light isn’t suitable for the plants and some are struggling because of that.
The light is great for starting up a planted tank or using with a non planted tank this is just my opinion, and it may be the case of a bad workmen always blames his tools on my behalf 😆😁
Cheers
1Steve.

36" fluval plant is 2x that power, 46watts.
More like an "Aquasky".
Your light:

Screenshot_20220512-083655.png

Last edited:
36" fluval plant is 2x that power, 46watts.
More like an "Aquasky".
Your light:

View attachment 188440
That’s the one! I couldn’t remember the name of the light. Thanks for that. :thumbup:

Usually when your light is in the 4000k range, it will looks more yellow and green when your water has a tint from tanins. Its a bit less apparent in the 6000k plus range. Any range of color in the hobby's light will grow plants just fine. It only depends on how the owner/looker will perceive/prefer the color.

That’s the one! I couldn’t remember the name of the light. Thanks for that. :thumbup:
Not sure it is exactly the same as an Aquasky. Specs are 1W off.. LOL.
The model number looks to be a Hagen # not a Fluval number.
Why???
Don't know.
Best guess is that is because theyt are "built in models"...

Not sure it is exactly the same as an Aquasky. Specs are 1W off.. LOL.
The model number looks to be a Hagen # not a Fluval number.
Why???
Don't know.
Best guess is that is because theyt are "built in models"...
I think that your guess could well be right, I suppose it’s what costs the cheapest to manufacture.
I’m going to look into the lighting a bit more to run one alongside my original should I need it, I like the idea of the Fluval plant as I like the app based system but spending that sort of money on a light I would like something that’s going to suit the tank long term, so I’m not going to rush into it just yet.

I think that your guess could well be right, I suppose it’s what costs the cheapest to manufacture.
I’m going to look into the lighting a bit more to run one alongside my original should I need it, I like the idea of the Fluval plant as I like the app based system but spending that sort of money on a light I would like something that’s going to suit the tank long term, so I’m not going to rush into it just yet.
Still rocking the chihiros here ! :)

Still rocking the chihiros here ! :)
Hi Kevin, how are you finding the light? Can I be cheeky and ask if you have any before and after photos? I know it’s early days but have you noticed any difference in plant growth?
You sound very happy with the light it’s one of my contenders.
I have hight against my setup this is how mine is currently mounted
image.jpg

Sadly I don’t have much room to play with.
Cheers

Hi Kevin, how are you finding the light? Can I be cheeky and ask if you have any before and after photos? I know it’s early days but have you noticed any difference in plant growth?
You sound very happy with the light it’s one of my contenders.
I have hight against my setup this is how mine is currently mounted
View attachment 188539
Sadly I don’t have much room to play with.
Cheers
I love it! Great colors of the plants a fishes.

It’s now day in my country, to much reflection. Tonight I will create a video for you.

Allright did my best to snap my tank with both lights.

Fluval Plants 3.0 46 watt 100% all leds:
Video:
Pics:

Chihiros wrgb 2 90cm
Video buce preset:

Pics buce preset:

Video green preset:

Pics green preset:

My phone is a little buggy on the moment.
I hope this will help you. In real life the colors are much much better than in my video and pictures.If you can get the chihiros light perhaps with a return policy, you know what a mean.

The chihiros has some preset based on fish/shrimp/green plants/red plants and my favorite buce preset and you can change the light manually. I didn’t record the light on 100% of all lights.

With the Fluval my fishes and shrimp are orange or faded, with the chihiros fire red.

The plants responds very well. I don’t have have advanced plants. Some ferns, Bolbitis, bucephalandra, Monte Carlo, japonica Blyxa.
And since last week in the background rotala orange juice and H’ra. They need to transfer from emersed to submersed.

I don’t have any chihiros stocks :)
Let me know if you need more information, videos or pictures.

Kevin

Allright did my best to snap my tank with both lights.

Fluval Plants 3.0 46 watt 100% all leds:
Video:
Pics:

Chihiros wrgb 2 90cm
Video buce preset:

Pics buce preset:

Video green preset:

Pics green preset:

My phone is a little buggy on the moment.
I hope this will help you. In real life the colors are much much better than in my video and pictures.If you can get the chihiros light perhaps with a return policy, you know what a mean.

The chihiros has some preset based on fish/shrimp/green plants/red plants and my favorite buce preset and you can change the light manually. I didn’t record the light on 100% of all lights.

With the Fluval my fishes and shrimp are orange or faded, with the chihiros fire red.

The plants responds very well. I don’t have have advanced plants. Some ferns, Bolbitis, bucephalandra, Monte Carlo, japonica Blyxa.
And since last week in the background rotala orange juice and H’ra. They need to transfer from emersed to submersed.

I don’t have any chihiros stocks :)
Let me know if you need more information, videos or pictures.

Kevin

Hi Kevin, thank you very much for taking the time to photograph and take the videos they are very much appreciated, I can definitely see why your very happy with the light, your plants looks like they are pearling beautifully, this is something mine doesn’t do even with a lime green drop checker. I’m definitely going to invest in another light, I’m sure my plants and fish will benefit from a secondary light. The chihiros looks like a great choice!
Thank you very much again for the effort you put into this for me.
Kind regards, Steve.

Ive seen all manner of lights sold as "6500 kelvin" and they have looked entirely different.
Hi @Hufsa

Only if manufacturers publish the spectrum (from 400 nm to 700 nm) of the lighting fixture will you be able to get an idea of the resulting lighting colour. Disappointing, isn't it?

JPC

Just reviving this thread, as this has exactly described my 'issue' (moreover preference not in line with like) with the Fluval Plant 3.0!

Has anything changed in since this thread has started? Also, I only have a 76cm width tank with a lid and braces. So lighting options are really only suitable for the type of lights which can rest on the top or be fitted by clamps to the lid surface.

Any advice on where to buy a Fluval Plant alternative?

Aquarium Gardens, Horizon Aquatics etc etc!
Sorry, I meant what I should considered for a less warm feel to lighting that the Fluval pumps out.

Back