• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fluval 206 rattle/noise

Tom101

Hi all, my Fluval 206 canister filter has developed an annoying rattle over the past few months. Can anyone advise?

Maintenance routine:
  • Weekly clean of impeller, housing and shaft
  • Monthly grease of impeller using silicone grease
  • I always lock the intake/outflow pipes when cleaning to prevent air getting in the system, I then move the filter around a little when running again to dislodge any air bubbles (if extremely noisy)

Whatever you do it will always get some air trapped in. The sole fact you open it weekly justifies the rattling. I keep a sponge in the intake so that I don't need to clean it more than once every six months. I do not use any filter floss either as it clogs up pretty quickly.

Whenever I open the filter I find it takes half a week to get quiet again. The less I fiddle with it the more silent it is.

Get a round intake sponge that you can easily remove and clean every week and let the filter to its own devices.

Whatever you do it will always get some air trapped in. The sole fact you open it weekly justifies the rattling. I keep a sponge in the intake so that I don't need to clean it more than once every six months. I do not use any filter floss either as it clogs up pretty quickly.

Whenever I open the filter I find it takes half a week to get quiet again. The less I fiddle with it the more silent it is.

Get a round intake sponge that you can easily remove and clean every week and let the filter to its own devices.
Thanks for the tip, makes sense using that sponge as a pre-filter. I've got some spare so I'll give it a try.

Back