• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fluval 07 users

I want to disagree with this statement.
In my experience, the hoses are the biggest flow restriction. Every millimeter reduction in internal cross section is felt in the flow. I tested and the conclusion is to use the biggest internal diameter (see ribbed Fluval hoses) and have them as short and as straight as possible.
Cleaning, depending on each of us, but please do this experiment: let them get dirty and measure flow before and after cleaning only the hoses. You will be amazed of the difference...
Good luck with your canister.
I don't think there's anything to disagree with really. I'm not giving advice or an opinion, just stating that any concerns as to the difficulty of cleaning my filter pipes is invalid as I do not clean them.

Some things that will affect pressure (and consequently flow rate) in a filtration system: choice of filter media type and quantity; filter position; maintenance (or lack of) quality and interval; pump and impellar type and condition; quality and condition of seals; head height; atmospheric pressure; water temperature and external air temperature; salinity of water; suspended solids in the water; source orifice size and shape; destination orifice size and shape; electrical supply voltage and frequency.

There are so many variables in a piping system that affect the overall flow rate. Frictional losses will contribute to flow reduction significantly in a piping system but lets be honest, in a canister filter there's substantially more friction within the canister itself than the pipework.

I won't be dismantling my pipework to clean it. The time/cost benefit is just not good value in my installation and use case.

I want to disagree with this statement.
In my experience, the hoses are the biggest flow restriction. Every millimeter reduction in internal cross section is felt in the flow. I tested and the conclusion is to use the biggest internal diameter (see ribbed Fluval hoses) and have them as short and as straight as possible.
This was my understanding many years ago. Sometimes though it’s a compromise between staight as possible and short. I’ve always tried to avoid sharp bends like those shown earlier in this thread.
Not doing something because it’s difficult probably means a poor installation, and this should be addressed.

This was my understanding many years ago. Sometimes though it’s a compromise between staight as possible and short. I’ve always tried to avoid sharp bends like those shown earlier in this thread.
Not doing something because it’s difficult probably means a poor installation, and this should be addressed.
It’s not difficult. I just don’t do it. 😎

I didn't do it. Having seen what came out I do now do it, now and then.
Your tank is great. I suspect it would run very healthily without the 207 anyway as you’re having great success with sponge filters elsewhere. The nice thing about plants is they do a lot of the heavy lifting in terms of filtration anyway.

Hi all,

Just jumping in since most 07 Fluval users are already in here.

I hate the look and size of the tubing that comes with my 307 and would like to reduce the size of the tubing to 12/16mm instead? Is it possible/feasible?

Hi all,

Just jumping in since most 07 Fluval users are already in here.

I hate the look and size of the tubing that comes with my 307 and would like to reduce the size of the tubing to 12/16mm instead? Is it possible/feasible?

You could use hose reducers to lower the hose from 16/22>12/16. Might want to throttle your 307 if you do so (I'm guessing running it at 100% power with smaller piping may slowly damage the motor?) I never used the original hosing on my 207's, replaced it straight away so it was a non-issue.

Last edited:
You could use hose reducers to lower the hose from 16/22>12/16. Might want to throttle your 307 if you do so (I'm guessing running it at 100% power with smaller piping may slow damage the motor?) I never used the original hosing on my 207's, replaced it straight away so it was a non-issue.
Does the connector accept 16/22 hoses? I was under the impression that Fluval's own hose is 17mm.

Does the connector accept 16/22 hoses? I was under the impression that Fluval's own hose is 17mm.
17mm refers to the OD of the corrugated section of the pipe work. The ID will be closer to ~15mm but the plastic is very thin so maybe a little more.

The rubber boots that they fit at each end determines the size that the hose barb connector can fit onto. I am a 207 owner rather than 307 so the pipe sizes are slightly different and I don’t have direct experience with your filter. With heat, you may get standard 16/22 hosing onto the barbs. You wouldn’t get 12/16 directly onto the barbs however, even with lots of heat. You would maybe need to use 16/22 then a reducer to 12/16.

If you look back through this thread a bit you’ll find a few discussions on flow rate. By reducing the pipe inner diameter, you will reduce the flow rate. A reduction of a few millimeters doesn’t seem like a lot, but there are a few people concerned about reduction in flow from a bit of dirt, never mind deliberately restricting the flow. I haven’t experienced that personally but there’s many people saying they have. None of this is an exact science as every aquarium and situation is different so you may find this acceptable. On the other hand you may find the reduction in flow affects your set up drastically.

If you need them the Stainless Steel reducers are nice. The wall thickness is thinner than the plastic ones.

IMG_9998.jpeg

If you need them the Stainless Steel reducers are nice. The wall thickness is thinner than the plastic ones.

After further research, it seems from the link below that the aquastop valve is interchangeable between all Fluval 07 models. If I understand correctly, that would mean even the 107 sized hose could fit on a 307 if the same part is used on all the models so either the 107 hose has a bigger hose head or the 307 can use 14.5mm tubing as well.

https://www.fishkeeper.co.uk/fluval 07 aquastop valve

After further research, it seems from the link below that the aquastop valve is interchangeable between all Fluval 07 models. If I understand correctly, that would mean even the 107 sized hose could fit on a 307 if the same part is used on all the models so either the 107 hose has a bigger hose head or the 307 can use 14.5mm tubing as well.

https://www.fishkeeper.co.uk/fluval 07 aquastop valve
It seems likely that the rubber boot connection is the same everywhere then.

16/22 will fit on your filter with a little heat.

Back