• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Floplast plastic pipe and Ph...

dcurzon

Been playing about with a an empty tank, and installed some pipework using the Floplast plumbing piping. Nothing else in there except a heater, a small piece of filter foam and a pot with 2 stems in (which wasn't in there when I took initial Ph readings). And some tap water.

Yesterday Ph 8.6 :O
Today Ph 8.6 (with 2 stems in a pot with some Tropica soil powder in the pot)

Took the Ph from tap water, 7.6.

Also tested TDS and whilst I don't remember the figures exactly, the tank was about 100ppm more than the tap. I'm also not very familiar with TDS or what that means.

I draw the conclusion that it must be the Floplast piping that is causing that gain in Ph. Is there something odd with that plastic??

It won't be anything from the pipework affecting pH and TDS.
When did you test the TDS, before the addition of the tropica soil or after? This could increase your TDS. The pH direct from the tap will be reduced due to dissolved CO2 and if you are in a hard water area 8.6 sounds about right.
Darrel has some good explanations of water chemistry and TDS if you search through some of the past threads.
Cheers
John

Tds was after a small pot of tropica soil, but I don't really understand the TDs anyway.

I should probably let some tap water stand for a day or 2 then pH test, I didn't consider the dissolved co2 likelihood, cheers

Back