• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Floating plants

strangemark

Excuse the rugby in the background! However, my question is, will my floating plants cope with the flow from my filter? I want to ensure water is well oxygenated for its occupants!17088003562026994526103733608438.jpg

Hi,
Your tank certainly looks big enough for the floating plants to escape the highest flow area, from what I can read from the photo I wouldn't worry about them.
Is this a newly established aquarium?

Hi,
Your tank certainly looks big enough for the floating plants to escape the highest flow area, from what I can read from the photo I wouldn't worry about them.
Is this a newly established aquarium?
Hi,

Yes, newly established around 2 weeks now!
Daily water testing with 25% water change weekly to keep on top of leeching from bog wood, and to keep nitrite/nitrate levels where they need to be.
As for the floating plants, they can look like they are in a washing machine at points 😂🤣 however, majority spend most of their time on the surface.

Hi,

Yes, newly established around 2 weeks now!
Daily water testing with 25% water change weekly to keep on top of leeching from bog wood, and to keep nitrite/nitrate levels where they need to be.
As for the floating plants, they can look like they are in a washing machine at points 😂🤣 however, majority spend most of their time on the surface.
If they are being forced underwater then that's probably not a good thing.
I would plant a good few clumps of Limnophila Sessiflora (or similar fast growing plant) along the back your tank to help kickstart the ecosystem, they will also help to protect your floating plants once they have grown and are trailing along the surface. These can be removed at a later date if they do not fit in with your overall plan.
Cheers!

If they are being forced underwater then that's probably not a good thing.
I would plant a good few clumps of Limnophila Sessiflora (or similar fast growing plant) along the back your tank to help kickstart the ecosystem, they will also help to protect your floating plants once they have grown and are trailing along the surface. These can be removed at a later date if they do not fit in with your overall plan.
Cheers!
Hi there,

Thanks for the constructive advise 👍
Are Limnophila Sessiflora a fast growing plant in a low tech tank?

Limnophila sessiliflora and another plant, Heteranthera zosterifolia, will both grow perfectly well low tech. Once the plants have settled in & are rooting they can put on a fair amount of growth in a week even with no co2.
A big tank like yours can let the limnophila grow to it's full potential with large fluffy whorls of leaves wafting in the current!

Back