• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Floating plants not growing.

Good question. I'm not sure how much of that 40W actually makes it below the surface, or to the substrate...

You can measure these things with PAR meters but that's not currently on my kit list :)

Attachments

• IMG_20240118_195851792_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20240118_195851792_HDR~2.jpg
    969 KB · Views: 40
Considering the tank is merely three weeks old, I would think they are still adapting to their new home. From what I read above, it sounds like your dosing should be sufficient, but it sure looks like the floating plants are starving.

Cheers,
Michael

Good question. I'm not sure how much of that 40W actually makes it below the surface, or to the substrate...

You can measure these things with PAR meters but that's not currently on my kit list :)
Just noticed do you have a lid on your tank?

Considering the tank is merely three weeks old, I would think they are still adapting to their new home. From what I read above, it sounds like your dosing should be sufficient, but it sure looks like the floating plants are starving.

Cheers,
Michael
Yep ive trippled my tnc so hopefully see a turn around. I am really happy with the submerged plants just the floaters! would you add iron too or should i have enough?

Possibly - depending on your dKH/pH... I am not sure how much TNC complete adds or how it is chelated, but dosing an alternative source of iron (Seachem Iron for instance) for a while to see how it works might be a good idea.

Cheers,
Michael
Going off my test ph is 6.4 kh 3 gh 6

Just noticed do you have a lid on your tank?
I have. To prevent jumpers. Specifically, this fella. Outgoing Siamese Algae Eater is in the bag (outgrown my tank and returned to LFS). Incoming is perched on the hydrocotyle leucocephala.

I would prefer not to have a lid but on the plus side it keeps the evaporation down and also keeps the heat in.

Attachments

• IMG_20240201_115659099~2.jpg
    IMG_20240201_115659099~2.jpg
    701 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20240204_085544972~2.jpg
    IMG_20240204_085544972~2.jpg
    418.1 KB · Views: 34
I have. To prevent jumpers. Specifically, this fella. Outgoing Siamese Algae Eater is in the bag (outgrown my tank and returned to LFS). Incoming is perched on the hydrocotyle leucocephala.

I would prefer not to have a lid but on the plus side it keeps the evaporation down and also keeps the heat in.
Re your plants okay with drips? I only ask because i have 2 very troublesome cats 🤣

My issue is things trying to get out of the tank rather than in! :)

They don't seem bothered by the lid and a few drips now and again, and I guess in nature they must get a bit wet at some point.

I have the impression that quite a few people on the forum have cats and keep open tanks.

My issue is things trying to get out of the tank rather than in! :)

They don't seem bothered by the lid and a few drips now and again, and I guess in nature they must get a bit wet at some point.

I have the impression that quite a few people on the forum have cats and keep open tanks.
Yes mine are not your average cat thats my worry 🤣 i may opt for a lid 😂

Back