• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Floating plant conundrum

Vespa81

Seedling
I have an Aqua nano 100l tank. This a sump kind of filtration system built in the back. I have to keep the output flow reasonably fast to keep the circulation going as it’s quite deep and also due to my bamboo shrimp Bertram. I run a oase crystal skim for the endless biofilm that plagues my life and that works beautifully.
Now the problem. My floating plants get swished about by the flow and even if i point the flow down more (no surface adgitation) they get pulled towards the skimmer anyway and stop it working. I’ve tried various plant rings made from all kinds of material and they either stop the skimmer, create film, crowd the plants and they die or take up lots of light space for the planted plants (ive used and not used the suction cup holders).
Ive tried various types of floaters. Amazon frog bit, water lettuce, red root and well, probably all i can find. They all end up dead/not thriving.
I love the look of floating plants, my beta loves them and the benefits they provide for water are great.
How can i have them in this situation i find myself? Is it a no win situation due to the set up i have and tank species?
Any advice please.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 29
Back