• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Floating particles in water

No probs. I'd like to hear from the OP and if he's solved this problem too.

I attempted to move the inlet to the outlet side but the stiffness of the tubing (not to mention the lack of rim cut out on the Roma) meant it wasn't an easy task. So, I've simply cleaned it and let it be. Perhaps a task for later. I'm still erring towards getting a smaller secondary filter like an Eheim Classic 150 - if I can find anyone in the UK who sells 'em...

I’ve managed to switch round the intake to the outlet side but to no effect. Slowly losing my mind over this!

It looks like it’s the Corys who are kicking up these particles. Short of getting rid of them I’m not sure what to do.

It also looks like I’d be more successful filtering out the particles with the filter if I raised the inlet to the top third of the tank but I’ve never seen this done before. I also can’t vacuum much due to it being heavily planted.

I have the same tank and the same problem. Although I thought my particles were small splinters of wood.

Oddly I have an FX4 on my Roma as I found the 306 too weak. I also have a circulation pump on the opposite side. My idea was to use the filter outflow to push water at the top of the tank from right to left and the circulation pump to push the lower water left to right, creating a swirl. But just short of adding in food dye, I’ve no idea if it works or maybe it’s whats causing my particles!

No. When all outlets blow in one direction, the water flows to the opposite side, bounces of the glass and then sweeps back everything in the direction of the oulet. Thats why your inlet should also be located near the outlets.

By installing the circulation pump opposite the filter outlet, you are technically cancelling out the circular flow, thus creating a big dead zone in the middle and water is splashing chaotically in all directions....

Last edited:
I've also switched to having the lower basket (of three) filled with filter floss (polyester batting). Is the filter clogging?

If it is,
A) how are the particulates bypassing the filter and returning to the tank?
B) would returning to Eheim MechPro improve matters? I don't see how. I hear some folk don't use floss inside of filters, just fine sponge...

Help!

I've also switched to having the lower basket (of three) filled with filter floss (polyester batting). Is the filter clogging?

If it is,
A) how are the particulates bypassing the filter and returning to the tank?
B) would returning to Eheim MechPro improve matters? I don't see how. I hear some folk don't use floss inside of filters, just fine sponge...

Help!

Did you try adjusting the flow? You want to create a swirl so that aerated water from the top of tank is pushed down towards the bottom, lifting any waste particles towards your filter inlet. If your circulation pump is pushing water away from the inlet then the particles are less likely to make there way to your filter floss to get trapped.

If you’re totally against moving your circulation pump, you can get around this by putting it on a timer. For example keep it off at night time. This will mean the flow of water changes for a set period and will at least help reduce dead spots.

The filter circulates the water adequately, pushing it back toward the intake. It looks like particulates aren’t being held in the canister now.

Or is it the wood? Or is it (recent) lack of vacuuming? So many variables.

I’ll try putting the Eheim MechPro back in tonight with a pad on top. #NearlyBald

The filter circulates the water adequately, pushing it back toward the intake. It looks like particulates aren’t being held in the canister now.

Or is it the wood? Or is it (recent) lack of vacuuming? So many variables.

I’ll try putting the Eheim MechPro back in tonight with a pad on top. #NearlyBald

The particles in my tank have gone since adding a blue fine filter pad to the last stage of my filter. The white ones clog far too quickly and don’t last as long. Where as the blue ones tend to be indestructible.

Sorry, are these the white/blue or white/pink ones?
They’re all blue.

RC Hagen A248 Fluval Fine Filter Pad. I don’t know about a variant for your specific filter but you can buy big sheets of the stuff and just cut to size if you have the patience.

Back