• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fixing leaky Sunsun/EF-150 canister filter

Nont

Hello everyone.

Since I saw lots of people here are experiencing leaky Sunsun/ef-150 canister, mine also leaked yesterday.
I found a tutorial on youtube that show you that you can easily fix this by taking the O ring out, wrap the ‘lid’ part with the plumbers tape and put O ring back to it’s place. Hope this helps.

C02CFB4B-AE81-4EA6-ACF1-10DE1BA40D27.jpeg

Hello everyone.

Since I saw lots of people here are experiencing leaky Sunsun/ef-150 canister, mine also leaked yesterday.
I found a tutorial on youtube that show you that you can easily fix this by taking the O ring out, wrap the ‘lid’ part with the plumbers tape and put O ring back to it’s place. Hope this helps.

View attachment 179863

Also found myself part of this unlucky club recently, I think for a lot of people the tape solution is only ever temporary, and probably impetus to upgrade the filter when possible!

I have two of these which I use as pre filters for larger SunSun HW302 filters. I clean them every week and never had a leak in over 6 years. Never changed the O ring either. I sometimes put on a little silicone but that's it.
The HW302s are a whole different ball game but I only open them every 6 months now as the ef-150s do such a great job.
Spare O rings, PTFE tape and silicone are at the ready for the HW302s but they have not leaked for at least 3 years I reckon.

I clean them every week and never had a leak in over 6 years.
Lucky!

How is your experience with it as a pre-filter? I’ve been thinking of replacing my ef150 pump with valve. Do you think it is possible to use with other filter (other than HW302) such as Eheim classic 2213 or SunSun HW604.

As a pre filter, the ef150s are great. I use a pot scrubber at the bottom, and 4 foams of different density above. Works flawlessly and water in my 350 litre is crystal clear.
If the tubing is of the same diameter I cannot see any reason why they would not work with other makes of filter.
The prefilters, Sunsun and Hydor inline heaters will be used till something dies and I justify to the other half that I need to buy Oase Biomasters.

Back