• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fissidens UK Soft Water Distribution Map

ZeeDeveel

Thought this might be of interest to some people. After discovering that Fissidens Fontanus is native to the UK I found a map of its distribution, which correlates remarkably with that of the country's soft water distribution.

Screenshot_20220102_103244_com.adobe.reader.jpg
uk-water-hardness-map-876x1024.png

Hi all,
Thought this might be of interest to some people. After discovering that Fissidens Fontanus is native to the UK I found a map of its distribution, which correlates remarkably with that of the country's soft water distribution.
I've seen it locally, and it is all limestone here, so I'd guess it probably has more to do with where people have looked for it.

Even in the UK, usually Biological records for bryophytes, most "non charismatic" invertebrates etc. just reflects observational effort, rather than the species actual distribution.

I think that map is from the <"BBS field guide">, which is an excellent resource, but the distribution map will be out of date. I'll have a <"look on INaturalist"> and see what records are on there. I just have and there aren't any records at all.

Cheers Darrel

Last edited:
UK I found a map of its distribution, which correlates remarkably with that of the country's soft water distribution.
Definitely not soft water areas. This is a crude example of water hardness in the UK. Light green denotes soft water, the darker the shade denotes harder water.
hard-water-areas.jpg

but the distribution map will be out of date
I think from 2014.
the denser clusters are generally in hard or medium water areas.
I'd agree, compare this map of clusters to the map above. If you overlaid them the vast majority of specimens collected would fall in medium or hard water hardness areas.

The data Probably correlates to research funding, North South divide and all that.

Think you may have misinterpreted my map. It was also a hard water map, the light areas are the soft water. I've overlaid them.

Attachments

• 1641152951802.png
    1641152951802.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 124
Hi all,
Think you may have misinterpreted my map. It was also a hard water map, the light areas are the soft water. I've overlaid them.
I still don't get it. It just shows nearly all the sites are in the lowlands.

I'd expect a moss associated with soft water would show a much more northern and western distribution, where the older, harder older rocks are.

Cheers Darrel

That's fine, I'm not presenting a case for anything, was just an observation.

That's so cool, I for whatever reason assumed we wouldn't have any aquarium plants/mosses!

From the map, unless I'm reading wrongly, Scotland hasn't been accounted for lol. My TDS from the tap is approx 070...

Back