• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fissidens Help

KirstyF

I have a scapers pad of Fissidens. About 2”sq. Moss is only a few mm high.

What l’m aiming for is to grow it on a particular rock in the ‘scape that I cannot remove or get above water level so trying to figure out the best way to achieve this. Tying directly to the rock is not an option and I’m pretty sure that trying to glue it whilst it’s under water would result in moss everywhere other than the rock.

I’m thinking perhaps to spread the moss a little thinner on to ‘something’, where it can grow in some more, and I can then attach the whole thing to the rock later?

Wondering if this would work? and, if so, what the best technique for this would be? The scapers pad is metal so not really flexible so I was thinking a fine mesh, or thin rock wool maybe? Also, does it respond the same as other common mosses? I.e is it better to try and tie it/stitch it with line, or glue it on?

Fissidens costs a fortune so would be good to get some advice rather than just experiment. 😊

Hi
Maybe try glueing/tying ( I prefer tying than glueing moss tbh)some on little pieces of gravel(stone you use in tank) and stick or tuck those in crevices on or arround the rock in question. It should spread onto the rock in time.
Regards Konstantin

Superglue works, gel type.
All the moss on the lower left was glued this way.

Attachments

• 4A6E8569-F8FC-4008-B4BB-94D577EB58EC.jpeg
    4A6E8569-F8FC-4008-B4BB-94D577EB58EC.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 110
Hi
Maybe try glueing/tying ( I prefer tying than glueing moss tbh)some on little pieces of gravel(stone you use in tank) and stick or tuck those in crevices on or arround the rock in question. It should spread onto the rock in time.
Regards Konstantin

The rock in question is quite a flat surface but yeah, I guess if I could get some nice flat pieces (slate maybe) I could grow on to them and then attach them to the larger rock without it looking too lumpy bumpy once it grows in. 👍

Superglue works, gel type.
All the moss on the lower left was glued this way.

I’ve glued most of my existing moss (weeping and Christmas) but all out of water. I can’t imagine being able to glue under water without most of the moss just floating away, and the rock in question is at the bottom of the tank too so not easy to reach either. This is why I’m thinking it’s best to attach the moss to something out of water first and then place it in its final position.

Also never grown fissidens before so wanted to double check if it will respond ok to glueing. Good to know that it would be ok. It seems quite delicate compared to my other types. 😊

How well covered is the scapers pad, and where are you trying to attach it on the rock?

If it were me I’d find a way to just rest or hold the pad in place as is, and let it grow out like that. Failing that, get a small piece of similar rock, cover it with the moss, and secure it with fishing line.

That’s how I do all my moss now, as it makes trimming it so much easier if you can pull a pad or small rock out of the tank, trim it in the sink, rinse and put back. Trimming moss in the tank can be a real headache.

Last edited:
How well covered is the scapers pad, and where are you trying to attach it on the rock?

If it were me I’d find a way to just rest or hold the pad in place as is, and let us grow out like that. Failing that, get a small piece of similar rock, cover it with the moss, and secure it with fishing line.

That’s how I do all my moss now, as it makes trimming it so much easier if you can pull a pad or small rock out of the tank, trim it in the sink, rinse and put back. Trimming moss in the tank can be a real headache.

The pad is small but solidly covered, no ‘threadbare’ looking areas, and I’m looking to grow on the top face of the rock which is slightly sloped.

On that basis, the pad may just sit there without fixing. 🤔 Not sure how natural it will look with it being a solid square block but maybe it’ll ‘soften’ given some growing time.

Either way, the moss is only about 5mm in length/height at the moment, so could do with a bit of growing out I guess, and that rock is probably as good a place as any to put the pad whilst it does that. 👍

I guess I can always move to plan B and put the moss on to rock pieces later if i’m not happy with the look! 😊

Not sure how natural it will look with it being a solid square block but maybe it’ll ‘soften’ given some growing time.

Once it grows in and gets to an inch or more long it should look fine. Whenever I have added Fissidens either by whipping it onto wood with fishing line, or gluing onto rock, it always ends up looking the same when its grown in regardless, and just grows into a big pom-pom type shape. At which point you can trim it, and tie the trimmings to some new rock pieces or scapers pads (cut to shapes if you like as @Maf 2500 suggests) with fishing line, and then spread it around your rock to give a more natural 'spread out' look.

Back