• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fissidens Fontanus problems

Jaap

Hi,

does anyone know why my Fissidens Fontanus is not growing and has this dark green colour?

fd9dcc091e61e8904043dea1dd811e0a.jpg

5dc4eafc3eaed20e52baf6bd5838fd9a.jpg
3a1822e499541540e3d9c77b83bf570c.jpg

Thanks

Can't really see that clearly from the photos but it looks to me like it's covered in fine sediment and algae. It's relatively slow growing and can easily become smothered especially since it's leaves are so fine.

Reactions: tim
There is some debris on the leaves but why dark green instead of lush bright green growth?

My Fissidens Fontanus stopped growing since June and look the same. The summer high temperature in our country is at fault.
Wait a bit and after that we talk ;)

So probably need morw light for this plant...it also sits at the bottom of the tank...

Have you put any shrimps in your tank?

Sent via Tapatalk
Not yet...I am thinking about it though...I just want to establish the correct light levels and in general to see that I am getting good growth and then when all is growing and all is stable to add livestock...should I add some?

I bought this plant from ebay and mine was the same colour. I think it's naturally quite a dark plant, pictures you see of it where it is a light green colour most likely have really high light or have been photoshoped to a degree (as with most plants sold on ebay).

Hi all

No experience with Fissidens but I think it can be a combination of some of the mentioned issues: here in the Mediterranean my tanks get to 30 degrees in summer quite easily and mosses do very bad (huge difference with winter, I do not heat my tanks or very lightly to avoid them being under 20 degrees... Those 10 degrees make a significant difference), shrimps are IMO the best moss cleaners (siphoning them will result in a disaster breaking their natural shape, at least for some species) and finally frequent trimming results in new and green growth.

I noticed that light can be important for some of them (Java/flame moss grow well nearly in the dark but a kind of spiky moss I have grows much better with good light), but not sure for Fissidens

Jordi

Back