• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fissidens fontanus or is it ?

Hi.
Fissidens is definitely the darker smaller moss on the wood, the light green plant is riccia fluitans and seems to get everywhere from nowhere :)
Cheerio,

Fine tweezers are a good way to remove the riccia if you don't want it.

Maybe its the fissidens holding it on or something but Riccia fluitans doesn't have any roots and such to hold it in place.

I will inspect it closer tomorrow when the lights are on, but I have got parts of the root wood where there is no fissidens but there is some of this other moss growing and its quite bushy looking and it fully attached to the root wood.

Hi all,
Really? it seems to be attached quite strong to the root wood. I did a dry start so there's no string holding the moss in place
I think the answer to the self clinging Riccia is the DSM. Riccia will grow terrestrially, I've got some in the pots where I've watered the house-plants with tank water, and then it does form attachment rhizoids.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

I think the answer to the self clinging Riccia is the DSM. Riccia will grow terrestrially, I've got some in the pots where I've watered the house-plants with tank water, and then it does form attachment rhizoids.

cheers Darrel

Will it gradually transform back to its submersed state and lose it's rhizoids?

I had a closer look today, some of the small bits was in fact being held down by the Fissidens but there was 2 large clusters of Riccia which looked like they was in fact 'clinging' on to the root wood........anyways, I remove most of what I could see and lefts only 2 clusters of Riccia.

Back