• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fissidens Fontanus Dry Start

F. Fontanus doesnt need to be kept humid to grow. For anyone not aware it is a native moss of the UK (along with 7-8 other fissidens sp.) so it will survive and grow as long as you keep it damp or grow it on something damp. You can also let it dry out 100% and re-animate it and it will act like nothing happened.

F. Fontanus doesnt need to be kept humid to grow. For anyone not aware it is a native moss of the UK (along with 7-8 other fissidens sp.) so it will survive and grow as long as you keep it damp or grow it on something damp. You can also let it dry out 100% and re-animate it and it will act like nothing happened.

I'm also trying to grow the fissidens up my tree above the water, it lives it is green.. But that's about it.. I realy can't see it grow much.. Above the water it in between other vegitation and maybe has more competition. But submersed it's growing faster and stronger, even the patches where it growes combined with pelia.. :) Even the pelia seems to do better submersed than emersed and in nature it seems pelia isn't even found in submersed form. That's rather remarkable.

The 'pellia' we have in our tanks isnt actually a pellia species. Pellia epiphyla (spelling?) is a true pellia that can be found submerged in nature :)

Ok thanks for clearing that up.. I did read that about the mini pelia at some aquatic plant web shop.. :)

F. fontanus is a true aquatic, it will only grow emersed if it's kept saturated. The only places you can find it above the waterline is in rocky streams and rivers where it grows in the splash zone or very near to the edge of still water where enough moisture is wicked to it. but you won't find it growing in damp environments away from water.

I have a big bucket in the garden filled with swamp plants.. Lately i saw some moss in there growing on some emersed roots and a portion submersed.. Did put it in the tank it seems to grow well submersed. Im trying that with different mosses now i find in the graden, put it in a gar fill it with water and see how (long) it holds and what it does. some seem to do good.
Realy do not no what it all is.. I see also that Fissidens family is huge, i wonder which one will al do submersed as well. :) Funny stuff that moss, i like it..

Back