• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fissidens Fontanus Availability

johnjo

Just been searching online and struggling to find shops selling Fissidens Fontanus apart from EBay. Any body buy this from eBay or have any suggestions where I could get some from?

I want it for a tank set up next weekend.

Any body buy this from eBay or have any suggestions where I could get some from?
Yes, and I would be cautious when doing this. I purchased fissidens from ebay which was grown emersed. It grew fine, but it was also contaminated with other mosses. I thought the growth looked a bit weird as it was growing in, only to later realise I was looking at java moss intertwined in the fissidens. I also had some other unidentified moss start growing which I suspect may have been miroshaki.

As many people know, java moss can sometimes be a bit of a nightmare to actually fully remove from a tank, and I didn't want it in my tank o_O

I was in Aquarium Gardens today and they had loads of pots of this in stock.
Well that”ll teach me to ring them rather than go by what the website is saying. I made a plant order with them online over the weekend as well and it was showing as sold out. Same with the Riverwood website.

Yes, and I would be cautious when doing this. I purchased fissidens from ebay which was grown emersed. It grew fine, but it was also contaminated with other mosses. I thought the growth looked a bit weird as it was growing in, only to later realise I was looking at java moss intertwined in the fissidens. I also had some other unidentified moss start growing which I suspect may have been miroshaki.

As many people know, java moss can sometimes be a bit of a nightmare to actually fully remove from a tank, and I didn't want it in my tank o_O
Indeed. The ever so slightest minute piece that remains in the tank will grow. Good thing though is that it grows so slow that it gives times to remove what's visible once it pops its head out. In a scape with hardscape it is virtually impossible to remove.

I was in Aquarium Gardens today and they had loads of pots of this in stock.
Just spoke to Aquarium Gardens and they haven't had any pots of this in stock from their suppliers for ages, its a rare thing for them to get supplies of this supposedly but luckily they will sell a portion from their own tanks (much bigger than the suppliers portions as well, dave said) so i'm happy now, I will have some for this weekend's new scape!

Just spoke to Aquarium Gardens and they haven't had any pots of this in stock from their suppliers for ages, its a rare thing for them to get supplies of this supposedly but luckily they will sell a portion from their own tanks (much bigger than the suppliers portions as well, dave said) so i'm happy now, I will have some for this weekend's new scape!
That must have been what I saw then. It is a great shop, my first visit. The display tanks are fantastic, I need to up my game!

Back