• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fish to do a shrimps work?

mattyc

can anyone think of a fish that can do the job of a shrimp i.e. keep the hair grass clean of food and genraly clean the bottom of the tank?

There are plenty of bottom dwelling fish but they have a much bigger bioload and depending on species may disturb small ground plants, especially before they become established.

It is a common misconception that bottom-dwelling fish 'clean' the bottoms of tanks. Sure, they may eat leftover food but they'll also produce waste, that can lead to algae issues if your maintenance isn't spot on.

Corydorus and small Botia may be worth a look. Both need to be kept in groups no smaller than six for them to thrive.

Some Cory's any species will root about the bottom for uneaten food etc they don't bother with algae though. Siamese flying fox will tackle certain algae as well as Ottocinclus and are both fairly plant friendly. The larger Plec type species IME rasp off plant tissue while grazing.

Not sure of one species of fish that will do both though. Looks like you need two types of fish to do the job of one Shrimp :)

i have a group of ottos, i am just interested in a fish to sort the bottom of the tank, there is a relativly low bioload in tha tank as it is now so i think there should be no problems adding more fish to the tank. thanks for your ideas guys!

what would have been used before shrimp were on the market?

Back