• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fish room New Parosphromenus !

Different to what? They are not betta splendens , they are betta simplex. These are a very different fish that mouth brood their eggs and fry.

Tank 1 paro eggs have hatched and the fry are dangling from the roof of the tunnel, Looks like loads. Tank 2 eggs are all gone and I suspect the ramshorn snails have had them as i've heard this can happen. There are no snails in tank 1. I really didn't expect the pair in tank 2 to breed which is why all the snails are in there :rolleyes:

The Simplex male has swallowed the eggs and they are back at it this morn. Apparently if you get past day 3 of holding it is good sign.

I have had a brief foray into another forum, Tropicalfishforum, and I'm now leaving with my tail between my legs after being called a 'troll and insensitive' because I said I felt sorry for her fish, as they were only being fed every 2-3 days as she was doing a' fish in' cycle after her 'fishless' cycle adding ammonia failed, and did not wish the same op's child happy birthday. As it turns out, the child is ill and every birthday is a bonus but how the feck am I supposed to know that? I don't assume that every child described as 'special needs' has life threatening health problems. Apparently this is so much worse because I'm a woman and a mother. Now I know why I stick to animals and dodge the mother and child groups :grumpy::bored:

Now back to fish.

The betta channoides fry eating bbs. I think they look a cross between toads and fish. Adorable :watching:

Hi all,
I have had a brief foray into another forum, Tropicalfishforum, and I'm now leaving with my tail between my legs after being called a 'troll and insensitive' because I said I felt sorry for her fish, as they were only being fed every 2-3 days as she was doing a' fish in' cycle after her 'fishless' cycle adding ammonia failed
I don't think they are very keen on us on "TropicalFishForum".

It isn't a forum that I've ever looked at, but yesterday some-one just sent me a link to a thread on "TFF" <"Cycling With Or Without Plants - Debating The Merits Of Each">, (following a thread on "PlanetCatfish" <"Using deep gravel and bacteria to control nitrogen">).

cheers Darrel

Reactions: tim
I wonder what Tropicalfishforums uk would make of the indomitable C

I don't think they are very keen on us on "TropicalFishForum".
Well I think I just confirmed their beliefs when I disagreed that it was ok to have fish in an ammonia reading of 0.5.

That'll teach you not to cheat on ukaps with inferior forums
Love it!
It really was sad. There is far more knowledge of fish on this forum than there is on tff. All my stuff is deleted and the person who called me 'a horrible person' 'manipulative cow' and told me to 'p1ss off' has been welcomed into the heart of the forum. She is welcome to it lol...
I am officially banned and a 'troller' whatever that is.

It did serve to illustrate what a superiour and friendly site we have at ukaps and I feel a donation coming on when I get paid...

Last edited:
The male simplex has eaten about 4 lots of eggs and has a bulging gob again tonight so fingers crossed he can resist this time.
Both pairs of paros have new lots of eggs. I was a bit slow taking the second lot of fry out so a lot of them had zipped off before i got to them. Going to take this lot when they are 4 days. Have removed all the snails from tank 2 and hoping the eggs do better this time.

I have decided to sell on all but a couple of betta splendens and going to concentrate on paros and wild bettas.

Tempted to totally gut the big tank and do the blackwater that i had initially intended with sand/coarse sand substrate.

Planning on swapping the 2 dennerle cubes in the lounge with an optiwhite from under the stairs. The cubes would be handy for raising different sizes of fry and a 60 or 70cm optiwhite would look nice in the lounge.

The paro fry are now 3.5 weeks old. I counted 20+ today when pipetting out waste.
cf6f4f4cc34bfedc6a638370fd83ab34.jpg

ccd7b5ac9bc6d867dcf677e25e99870e.jpg

There are some new fry in there but not sure how many.

http://www.swelluk.com/img/shop/original/new jet 3500 side.jpg

My life at wc time has just become a lot easier thanks to the wee pump above. Aquarium Systems New Jet 1200lph water pump. I almost spent £50 on an ehiem pump but thought I take a chance on this and have been very pleased. Did have a bit of a flood when I didn't take into consideration the syphon effect when I swiched it off :eek:.
The advert did suggest you needed 19mm tubing for it which I duly bought only to discover it came with a bunch of adapters for 12mm and 16mm etc :rage:

The paro fry are 4.5 weeks old and moving to a 20l tank tomorrow to grow on. Last chance for a close up.
b2dd899ce16216beb78314628ed5f6dd.jpg

The 2 adult pairs will also be moving into their new tanks. They will all be in a divided 60l. This tank will be an easier height for checking the tubes for eggs and fry. At the moment the parents tanks are about 6inches off the ground.

Moved the 20 ish larger fry into the divided tank today.
3103a15402a00cc55f06dae7d7d0bd6b.jpg

Thought I'd only managed to get a few new fry from the last lot i took from the parents tank but now that they are bigger i count over 20 again. I was more successful than i had hoped.

Will move the parents into their sections today.

Back