• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fish possibly unwell, advice please

Kezzab

Hi, I have 6 Dicrossus filamentosus and 5 corydorus hasborus in a 60 ltr tank, journal is Leafy Experiment.

The corys in particular are 'flashing' against the decor. Seems a sign of whitespot but I can see no visible evidence.

Corys have been in the tank a week, I've already lost one which was very small.
The Dicrossus seem ok, though I have seen one flash too.

Thoughts on what the problem is and suitable treatment?

Thanks

How often are the flashing? If it's the odd flash here and there it is probably nothing. If it happens frequently then it could be the sign of flukes or white spot. Water parameter swing can cause a similar reaction and dwarf cories often don't do well after shipping, so if these are new imports, keep a close eye on them.

I keep a small group of pygmy corys in 50/50 rainwater/ tap water mix. I found after a water change they seemed very distressed & were flashing. I increased the amount of tap water conditioner I added slightly & they've been fine ever since.

I used to use sera tremazol (prazipro based and it was getting hard to find) because it works well for marines as well but I'm not sure what the best for just freshwater is now. I'm sure @MirandaB can advise with more upto date knowledge but I've heard a few people do well with esha gdex.

I used to use sera tremazol (prazipro based and it was getting hard to find) because it works well for marines as well but I'm not sure what the best for just freshwater is now. I'm sure @MirandaB can advise with more upto date knowledge but I've heard a few people do well with esha gdex.
Tremazol seems to be easily available online from what I can see,is it safe for Cory @mort or does it need half dosing?

Tremazol seems to be easily available online from what I can see,is it safe for Cory @mort or does it need half dosing?

It used to be hard to get but that shows how out of date I probably am. Tbh it's a very long time since I have used it and I think it was fine with everything at normal dose but can't 100% varify that. I do know for certain that it was fine with mandarin dragonets and syngnathids, which are very sensitive. With flukes I tended to bath them in a black bucket and look for anything that fell off to decide whether a longterm treatment was necessary. It's a fair while since I've treated anything freshwater, so I'm not upto date with meds. I saw @shangman just bought fluke solve, so perhaps that's a better option as I know she has pygmy cories and she'll have done her homework.

Back