• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fish list and Hypancistrus sp L471 feedback required.

Robbie X

Hi all.
I am putting a fish list together for my upcoming Aquascaper 900 jungle tank.
My intention is to keep only small species with a shoal of Neon Tetra and Chilli Rasbora as dither fish.
Will also have a small shoal of corydoras panda and hopefully some small whip tail catfish.
Clean up crew will consist of shrimp (species to be decided), Otocinclus, Nerite snails etc.
Centrepiece fish still needs to be decided but am considering either, Female dwarf gourami, a pair of Apistogramma panda or will consider any suggested species.
I was considering having one of the Alien hybrid Betta as the centrepiece fish but I think they need different water parameters than my other species?
I would also like a small fancy Plec. Hypancistrus sp L471 seems to fit the bill with its placid nature and small size. Are Hypancistrus sp L471 available in the UK?
Would appreciate some feedback on my list in terms of compatibility etc.
Cheers

I havent bee in the hobby long. Ive seen fancy zebra plecs and clown plecs (from the 'nano' sized ones but havent come across any spotted ones. Im sure youd be able to find it.

Price tag on the other hand... the zebras cost £150.

Went with a hillstream loach instead personaly 🤣

There’s dwarf snowball plec available at a few sites: Dwarf White Spotted Hypancistrus sp. L471 ~ 5cm

compatibility wise the main issue is temperature. Plecs like warmer water 25 degrees plus. While the corydoras and tetras like it cooler. You’d have one fish towards the limit of its tolerance which might be detrimental.

Perhaps apistos might be a better centrepiece (sure some-one more knowledgeable can suggest a species)

Look forward to pictures of the set-up!

I havent bee in the hobby long. Ive seen fancy zebra plecs and clown plecs (from the 'nano' sized ones but havent come across any spotted ones. Im sure youd be able to find it.

Price tag on the other hand... the zebras cost £150.

Went with a hillstream loach instead personaly 🤣
I love hillstream loach but always thought they needed quite a bit of current and strong flow?
I would quite like to add them to my list 🙏

There’s dwarf snowball plec available at a few sites: Dwarf White Spotted Hypancistrus sp. L471 ~ 5cm

compatibility wise the main issue is temperature. Plecs like warmer water 25 degrees plus. While the corydoras and tetras like it cooler. You’d have one fish towards the limit of its tolerance which might be detrimental.

Perhaps apistos might be a better centrepiece (sure some-one more knowledgeable can suggest a species)

Look forward to pictures of the set-up!
Many thanks.
Maybe I should leave the plecs out if this is the case.
Yes I really like the Apistos, especially Apistogramma nijsseni and Apistogramma panduro.

Thats what i thought at first but some opinions differ according to research... The shops tank has basicaly no flow. So i figured id give it a better home than what they had. The shop guy told me they are mostly happy with just airstone but are not as demanding as people make em out to be.

My one seems to be happy. I have decent flow and o2 pump no co2. I have a 600l/h outflow on a 64l tank and an eihem 100 airpump.

They are a very lively fish at first. I was really surprised and a bit worried that he was going to wreck my tank and stress the other fish but that was him exploring.

I think once they find their fav hiding spot they just sit there till lights out. It seem to be nocturnal or low/no light. My one only comes out of his spot at the back of the tank once lights go off.

Last edited:
Thats what i thought at first but some opinions differ according to research... The shops tank has basicaly no flow. So i figured id give it a better home than what they had. The shop guy told me they are mostly happy with just airstone but are not as demanding as people make em out to be.

My one seems to be happy. I have decent flow and o2 pump no co2. I have a 600l/h outflow on a 64l tank and an eihem 100 airpump.

They are a very lively fish at first. I was really surprised and a bit worried that he was going to wreck my tank and stress the other fish but that was him exploring.

I think once they find their fav hiding spot they just sit there till lights out. It seem to be nocturnal or low/no light. My one only comes out of his spot at the back of the tank once lights go off.
They are fascinating creatures. I will add them to my list 🙏

Im not sure about feeding..

He absolutely demolished off apretty big algea area overnight when i got him... like my neriteswere not making a dent and he just polished it lol. So am bit concerned that hes going starve. Dont seem to be interested in algea wafers i bought.. apparently it can scavange and was recomnded frozen blood worms. But cat fish pellets and bug bites which i feed to the corys should be goid enough for him too.

Im not sure about feeding..

He absolutely demolished off apretty big algea area overnight when i got him... like my neriteswere not making a dent and he just polished it lol. So am bit concerned that hes going starve. Dont seem to be interested in algea wafers i bought.. apparently it can scavange and was recomnded frozen blood worms. But cat fish pellets and bug bites which i feed to the corys should be goid enough for him too.
I have been soaking my river wood for over 3 years now. It has a thin layer of a silt like texture that has built up due to tannin release over that period.
The amount of tannin released is quite staggering and even with multiple changes of water every few months it was still releasing tannins until recently.
My dad is upgrading his main tank soon and giving me his 6 foot discus tank. I will, once my jungle tank is set up be using it for a Blackwater biotope, details to come soon :), but I will definitely be using the same wood for that tank.
But back to the silty layer, I intend to leave this layer as I think it will provide a QuickStart surface for algae to grow on.
Im not sure if this is actually the case though lol 😂

Hillstream Loach is fish that I would like to add. Another fish to consider is a small group of Panda Garras, they are a great algae grazer and they are a hoot when you are doing maintenance because they swarm your arms.

Hillstream Loach is fish that I would like to add. Another fish to consider is a small group of Panda Garras, they are a great algae grazer and they are a hoot when you are doing maintenance because they swarm your arms.
I really like the look of these little chaps, especially the black and white ones!

Back