• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fish identification

Onoma1

I wondered if anyone could help identify this fish. It was an 'one off' at my local fish shop sold as green line neon tetra.

I don't think this is accurate. While it stares some similarities with a black neon it isn't a black neon.

It's a beautiful iridescent colour, with bold and lively behaviour.

Any help would be very much appre
20220621_145017.jpg
20220621_145024.jpg
ciated!

Interesting looking fish - there must be quite a bit of variation in the species as the Gold Tetra I've seen in LFS have always been almost a solid metallic gold colour on their flanks (like the Seriously Fish image below), I've never seen ones with such a predominant blue line.

1655891798196.jpeg

Interesting looking fish - there must be quite a bit of variation in the species as the Gold Tetra I've seen in LFS have always been almost a solid metallic gold colour on their flanks (like the Seriously Fish image below), I've never seen ones with such a predominant blue line.

View attachment 190239
Believe it or not this is a reaction to a parasite and not normal colouration. It occurs in characins, there are many similar species sold as ‘gold tetras’ that appear in the trade. Pier aquatics are selling gold serpae tetras at the moment which I think are probably a uk first. Think it’s even been seen in cardinals and pencilfish although no where near as common as it is with these rodwayi type tetras.

Cheers

Believe it or not this is a reaction to a parasite and not normal colouration. It occurs in characins, there are many similar species sold as ‘gold tetras’ that appear in the trade. Pier aquatics are selling gold serpae tetras at the moment which I think are probably a uk first. Think it’s even been seen in cardinals and pencilfish although no where near as common as it is with these rodwayi type tetras.

Cheers

I should have read the notes in the Seriously Fish entry - incredible that a parasite can cause such a dramatic change in colouration. They have looked really impressive when I've seen them in MA and Wharf Aquatics. Is the parasite not detrimental to the fish's health then?

I should have read the notes in the Seriously Fish entry - incredible that a parasite can cause such a dramatic change in colouration. They have looked really impressive when I've seen them in MA and Wharf Aquatics. Is the parasite not detrimental to the fish's health then?
No doesn’t cause any issues. I believe if you spawned the fish they’d produce ‘normal’ fry. Think it needs something like a bird to be an intermediate host and pass it on to the fish.

Cheers

Back