• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fish health in relation to no water changes in low tech tanks.

I have for decades changed at least a portion of water from my tank's each week.
Tried to follow Tom Barr's Non CO2 method in the beginning with my low tech,low light tank's(no water changes), but old habit's die hard.
Once I saw that weekly water changes had no adverse effect's with plant's with respect to algae.. I then resumed with my water changes.
I add dry fertz as per Tom's suggestion once a week or two.(Maybe 1/3 EI)
325 litre tank I recently tore down to rid it of trumpet snail's ,had over 100 fish, and water changes each week kept the tank as clean as I want it/like it.
Same tank now,same plant mass,but only about 30 fish (cardinal's,cory's) can go nearly three week's before water begin's to look heavy,,clarity compromised,fishes acting more sluggish.
Plant's performed a little better with increased number of fishes I suspect ,,due to more food being offered and a little more CO2 from fishes as by product of respiration,and a little to a lot more bacterial activity on substrate processing waste.
Am saving $$ for group of Adult Discus,and three or four dozen more cardinal's,and a few more Sterbai corydora's this spring.
Will then reume with weekly 50-60% water changes which have been good to me.

Geez, How did I do?
Posted this in wrong thread!
Meant to post in low tech question's thread today, but had a brain fart.:confused:

Back