• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fish Food

Mike Charlie

Hi all,

Is there any issue with feeding aquarium fish some fresh mackerel bought from a supermarket? I have heard that you can use some fish cuts and it is good for them but just wondering as I do not want to use flakes or pellets anymore.

If mackerel is no good what fish is?

Thanks in advance.

Have used tilapia bit's and Krill (crustaceans) as supplement food for larger south American cichlids along with chopped earthworm's (from non insecticide area's).
Fish bit's alone would not provide all nutrient's,vitamin's, that fishes need, so I also offered quality pellet foods.
Flake when they were very small.
Stopped with blood worms altogether after repeated issues with Angelfish and Discus.

Yeah sorry forgot to mention I would be buying a bunch of the mackerel if its ok, cut it up to size and dose it with liquid vitamins, I was also thinking bloodworm mixed in as my fish love them but what issues did you have?

Mackerel is quite fat isn't it. I would worry about non-eaten leftovers in the tank.
Also what kind of fish are you feeding? It better be large carnivorous ones, because most other fish (like the ones we usualy keep) feed on small things like insects, larvae end plant matter.
Me personally i mostly use live food (brine shrimp, scudds, white worms ( enchytraeae and grindal worms)) and some frozen food (red, white and black frozen mosquito larvae,i add Mysis for larger fish (Angels, discus), or bosmids/cyclops for smaller ones)
Once every few days some granulated feeds

Basically for safety i advice fresh water fish fed to seafish, and seafish for fresh waterfish. Slim chance on parasites

Its for discus and german blue rams mainly, there are cardinals as well and corys but don't think they will be too bothered. (Fish are on order but planning ahead). Didn't know it was fatty as I only tend to eat cod and salmon. Am I just overthinking it?

I feed my cats Coalfish, it comes boneless and froozen from the supermarket. It is about fatless white meat, that i can tell.. I always cook it first, tho it never occured to me to throw it in the fishtank. But i guess they would eat it.. Why not..

I've had a look at the article and seems a lot different to what I thought, will have to give it a longer read through and plan accordingly thanks for the link

Why don't you feed them worms? My discus go absolutely crazy for them. I chop them up and then rinse a few times to get soil and slime away. These are composting worms I keep inside so have a constant supply. My discus are healthy and breeding. I find there is much less waste than with beefheart and even flake and granule.
836c3ba986697f41f2b8560e6031326b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Beautiful Discus^

Back