• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fish eggs?

bridgey_c

Hi all,

I have been trying to spawn my corydoras pygmaeus the past week with plenty of cool water changes and feeding live worms. I woke up this morning to find half a dozen clumps of eggs in the java moss and pelia. I thought corydoras laid eggs individually but these look like concentrated batches.

The only inhabitants in the tank are C Pygmaeus, Hyphessobrycon elachys, otocinclus, cherry shrimp and snails. I am guessing these are snail eggs?

egg1.jpg

Hard to tell from the picture but looks like a sack of snail eggs, when my corydoras laid they were always groups of individual eggs on the glass for some reason.

After a little google I think you are right angus...... unfortunately.

I've managed to breed almost every fish I have ever kept but the supposedly easy C Pygmaeus are defeating me!!!!!! I won't give in though :banghead:

Wait and see is always the best plan from my point of view, i've got all the time in the world to see what any eggs are! :) :lol:

I have had a stroke of luck I think. In the pelia that I seperated out I have found 4 eggs which are much more like corydora eggs. Let's see what happens

Only bred Cory Sterbai before myself but hardest thing I found was encouraging them to lay eggs in a place I could easily see. Solution was to put a stem plant with easy to see individual leaves 'Ludwigia Glandulosa' as the only plant near the highest water flow area (internal filter outlet). I moved most of my other plants to slack flow areas of the aquarium. It made it easy to see individual eggs on the Ludwigia & remove them with each leaf before they were eaten - P.S a small torch & cheap reading glasses were invaluable for spotting the eggs Good Luck

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/corydoras-pygmaeus/

Thanks for the tips. Im 99% sure these new eggs are fish eggs. The H Elachys are in full breeding colour so I think my routine is working. The dominant male's anal fin is constantly flared and has turned red and the main female is looking gravid. So these eggs could be either of the fish species I think

Yay!!!! More of the real things for me this morning :)

This tank is a bit of a jungle but I could see at least a dozen of these stuck to the glass. I have taken 6 eggs and placed them in a little hatchery and I've left the rest in place. There is plenty of leaf litter and moss and java fern roots so hopefully the C. Pygmaeus fry have a fighting chance.

eggs1.jpg

There should be plenty of infusoria and natural critters for the fry (I think) but I have some micro worms and 'liquifry' to supplement their diet too.

I will brush up on my macro skills as well and see if I can get a timeline of shots as they develop

Well it has been non stop spawning for the pygmaeus the last few weeks. I think plenty of live food and daily water changes were the trick.

This egg was laid Friday morning so should be ready to emerge any time now. It has been great watching the embryo wriggle around today. The head is on the far side of the egg with the tail curved towards us

corypyg2.jpg

Back