• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

First time going High Tech

Andrew74

Hi all.

So ive recently decided to go high tech (on a budget) with my Fluval Vicenza 180 Bow fronted tank.
Im doing a Dark Start to cycle the tank. Currently on day 7.

Basics are:-
External Cannister Filter. (Fluval 205)
DIY Led Lighting (High light level)
FE CO2 System with Solenoid and timer.
Heater (Duh)
Air Stones

Stone and Wood decor

Substrate is Fluval Stratum
Plants i am planning on getting are(Not ordered yet)
Micranthemum tweediei 'Monte Carlo'
Taxiphyllum 'Spiky'
Staurogyne repens
Alternanthera reineckii 'Mini'
Alternanthera reineckii 'Rosanervig'
Eriocaulon cinereum
Bacopa caroliniana
Blyxa japonica
Vallisneria americana 'Asiatica'

I will weekly dose with TNC Complete.

So here comes the questions?
Would you recommend a Wavemaker or Powerhead?
Is there anything else i should be considering?

Livestock wise other than a clean up crew of Amano Shrimp, Otocinclus and Nerite Snails ive not made any decisions.

Any help and advice would be greatly received.

Take a look at the tutorial section before you get going with plants. All the info you need to make your new planted tank a success is there.

But in the meantime, beware high light it's the source of most problems, and you'd perhaps be better off dosing fertz every day.
Not sure about a wave maker etc, but a filter that outputs 10x the tank capacity an hour is the gold standard to ensure enough flow to distribute CO2 efficiently and effectively.

Take a look at the tutorial section before you get going with plants. All the info you need to make your new planted tank a success is there.

But in the meantime, beware high light it's the source of most problems, and you'd perhaps be better off dosing fertz every day.
Not sure about a wave maker etc, but a filter that outputs 10x the tank capacity an hour is the gold standard to ensure enough flow to distribute CO2 efficiently and effectively.

I will take a good look through the tutorials, ive been reading the site for some time, just decided to join recently.
As the lights are DIY i do have the option of making changes to the lights overtime to get the right level. Thought it best to start high and reduce.

Sugar, Meant to say daily lol for the fertz

APFUK starter kit is a good/cheap way to start esp with 180l tank.

Reads lots and ask lots of questions - even if they seem stupid ;)

Ill take a gander at that starter kit, thanks.
Dont worry even after 35 years of aquarium experience, im full of stupid questions.

Thanks to both of you for your replies.

Back