• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

First tank

Cris_thorn

Looking to get my first tank. Do I start small with say a shrimp tank to get the basics right first or am I best looking at something like a 60cm set up.
I have a basic knowledge of fish keeping many years ago but things have changed so much since then so have little knowledge of aquascaping. Been gathering as much info as I could over the past few months via different sites and now I have found ukaps im
hoping to pick the brains of all you scapers here for some top tips.
Thanks in advance.

Larger tanks are generally more stable, will offer you more stocking options etc. On the downside, they cost more to set up and run.

Do you have any fish in mind that you would like to keep?

Cheers Nick
If a shrimp tank than maybe a Betta with shrimp or a handful of small tetras.
If I was going larger than my preferred fish would be a tank with dwarf cichlids (Agassizi etc).

Cheers Nick
If a shrimp tank than maybe a Betta with shrimp or a handful of small tetras.
If I was going larger than my preferred fish would be a tank with dwarf cichlids (Agassizi etc).
I've just put a betta in my shrimp cube. I guess we're still to establish a regular feeding regime and after only a couple of days he doesn't yet recognise me as a food source, but, I'd let your shrimp population get well established before adding the betta. Mine is actively hunting them, though I'm led to believe this can vary, fish to fish.

I've just put a betta in my shrimp cube. I guess we're still to establish a regular feeding regime and after only a couple of days he doesn't yet recognise me as a food source, but, I'd let your shrimp population get well established before adding the betta. Mine is actively hunting them, though I'm led to believe this can vary, fish to fish.
Yes, my Betta destroyed one of my shrimp colonies, not even the largest shrimp were safe.

Apistos are lovely fish, I have a pair of double reds, but I rarely see them, they are also not shrimp friendly :)

At the moment, he doesn't seem to be bothering with the larger ones, hopefully it stays that way.
What fish would you guys recommend to go with shrimp in maybe a 30x30 set up. Or would you keep it exclusively shrimp.

I have Rummy Nose and Neon Tetra in with Otocinclus, Amano shrimp and Cherry Shrimp in my 60x40x38cm. The Tetras, as will most fish, go for anything that moves that can fit in it's mouth. Cherry shirmplets below a few mm are fair game, but there is plenty of plant cover and hiding spots between hardscape, so some do survive to adults.

If you want to get a colony going, in a tank that size I'd stick to the smaller <5cm fish. Obviously depends heavily on the setup, available cover, food etc. If you're not too bothered about topping up the shrimp population occasionally, then whatever suits the space, water, budget, concept etc.

Last edited:
What fish would you guys recommend to go with shrimp in maybe a 30x30 set up. Or would you keep it exclusively shrimp.
Tetras, rasboras, whatever you fancy I guess. As I said earlier, maybe best to give your shrimp a head-start and establish a breeding population prior to adding anything that will eat them, and most things will eat the fry given the opportunity.

I personally wouldn't start with shrimp straight away as their needs are maybe more delicate. Make sure you brush up on you knowledge of water chemistry and the cycling process before hand.

Back