• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

first tank planted tank setup

jonny.j

Hi im new to planted tanks but about to try my 1st setup" iv got a sump tank going already for fish only that's 5ft by 30 by 30 inch and have a new 7ft by 2ft by 2ft comeing on Wednesday that's not sumped"

I did buy the 7ft not drilled for plants but had sealed hood" im thinking my big fish would like the extra lenghth to swim around in 7ft tank and id like the open top on 5ft by 30 by 30 for spotlights! But this tank has Sump!

Would you guys use the 7ft with externals or deeper/wider sump tank for your planted setup??

thanks

WOOOOOOOWWWWW
Are those peacock bass!!! Could you share a couple of videos.
Give the fish the bigger tank and use this one as the only panted.

Do you HAVE to use the sump? Can the other tank not use it and have the holes drilled to suit and this one have a huge external or two?

WOOOOOOOWWWWW
Are those peacock bass!!! Could you share a couple of videos.
Give the fish the bigger tank and use this one as the only panted.

Do you HAVE to use the sump? Can the other tank not use it and have the holes drilled to suit and this one have a huge external or two?
yes buddy these are Bahia Gold and orinoensis from rio negro (wild fish) iv got more in a holding tank in back"
Can probley shut the Big tap under tank from overflow! But tanks really made for sump and seams crazy to not use and put externals on!

few pics for you buddy"
bass6112015%20132_zpsdzcacfdr.jpg
bass6112015%20129_zpsqq2jfnhg.jpg
bass6112015%20126_zpsv1vkkxl5.jpg
bass6112015%20123_zpsk8omfglk.jpg
bass6112015%20097_zpsfqi4kk9z.jpg
bass19112015%20043_zps1truda2e.jpg
bass19112015%20021_zpsdzg3luku.jpg
bass19112015%20018_zpsymlzyfdu.jpg

yes I think these bass would like the extra 2ft lenghth in 7ft tank" but are not shure if the sump on this 5ft tank will be ok for plants because iv read that sumps take away all the co"2 from plants as mixes air and water! Don't know because newb on plant setups!

That's outrageous (the good kind)I love big fish like that! Stunning. What do you feed something like that?

Hi all,
but are not shure if the sump on this 5ft tank will be ok for plants because iv read that sumps take away all the co"2 from plants as mixes air and water! Don't know because newb on plant setups!
If you aren't adding CO2 (via a fire extinguisher etc). then the levels of CO2 (and dissolved oxygen) will be higher in a tank with a "wet and dry" trickle filter than one without.

There is a planted Cichla tank <"here">.
DSC03340.jpg

cheers Darrel

cool little bass and a datnoid (tiger fish) under the wood" Id like my tank to have a lot more plants and a full carpet on the bottom :)

And yes im thinking im just going with the planted tank in the 7ft by 2 by 2ft with few externals

planted tank in the 7ft by 2 by 2ft with few externals
What's your experience with planted tanks? you might wish to practise in a much smaller tank first :)
- even just initial plant budget on this size of tank is significant ... maybe look at running as a dry start to increase plant mass (from fewer purchased pots), then flooding etc.

What's your experience with planted tanks? you might wish to practise in a much smaller tank first :)
- even just initial plant budget on this size of tank is significant ... maybe look at running as a dry start to increase plant mass (from fewer purchased pots), then flooding etc.
No experience with plants" but thinking if I chat with few people and buy good equipment I should be ok! youtubes a big help :)
Was thinking of buying a lot of big grown mother plants for background and sides! and fill in with smaller mid level plants! was thinking around £180 on plants!

Back