• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

First tank for 30 yrs and First scape ever.

Paul M

Seedling
As the title suggests this is my first go at aquascaping and my first aquarium for 30 yrs.
The tank is a Fluval 80 litre and I'm running it on an Oase 250 thermo canister filter with pressure CO2 through an inline diffuser. I used 9 litres Tropica aquasoil and have planted with:
Micranthemum monte carlo
S. Repens
Christmas Moss
Microsorum Trident
Anubias Nana
Bucephelandra Kedegang
Bucephelandra wavy green
H. Pinnatifida
Rotala H'Ra
Lymnophilla Sessiflora
Fertilising with EA Aquascaper complete.
The livestock is a small crew of Amano Shrimp, 10 Cardinal Tetra and 6 Otocinclus. I'm considering my options for adding to this manifest. I may add a few more Cardinals and stick with a single schooling species, or I could get a small group of Lemon Tetra, or maybe consider a pair of Bolivian Rams as feature fish.
I'm really happy with how it's going so far. I do have a small ammount of algae but not the algae jungle that I was frightened of. I'm currently doing 50% water change weekly but am going to try doing 25% twice a week so I'm not hitting it with as big a change in one go. There is a bit of a Mohican thing going at the moment bescause I trimmed the Lymnophilla and not the Rotala. My biggest disappointment is that Rotala H'Ra. It just doesn't seem to be as lush and colourful as I've seen it elsewhere. If anyone has any suggestions about how to get it growing better I will be very glad for your input.
Please feel free to criticise, advise and generally offer your opinions. That is the main reason for me being on this forum, to learn and improve. Scape 050521.jpg scape 050521B.jpg

As the title suggests this is my first go at aquascaping and my first aquarium for 30 yrs.
The tank is a Fluval 80 litre and I'm running it on an Oase 250 thermo canister filter with pressure CO2 through an inline diffuser. I used 9 litres Tropica aquasoil and have planted with:
Micranthemum monte carlo
S. Repens
Christmas Moss
Microsorum Trident
Anubias Nana
Bucephelandra Kedegang
Bucephelandra wavy green
H. Pinnatifida
Rotala H'Ra
Lymnophilla Sessiflora
Fertilising with EA Aquascaper complete.
The livestock is a small crew of Amano Shrimp, 10 Cardinal Tetra and 6 Otocinclus. I'm considering my options for adding to this manifest. I may add a few more Cardinals and stick with a single schooling species, or I could get a small group of Lemon Tetra, or maybe consider a pair of Bolivian Rams as feature fish.
I'm really happy with how it's going so far. I do have a small ammount of algae but not the algae jungle that I was frightened of. I'm currently doing 50% water change weekly but am going to try doing 25% twice a week so I'm not hitting it with as big a change in one go. There is a bit of a Mohican thing going at the moment bescause I trimmed the Lymnophilla and not the Rotala. My biggest disappointment is that Rotala H'Ra. It just doesn't seem to be as lush and colourful as I've seen it elsewhere. If anyone has any suggestions about how to get it growing better I will be very glad for your input.
Please feel free to criticise, advise and generally offer your opinions. That is the main reason for me being on this forum, to learn and improve.View attachment 168234View attachment 168235

Great looking first scape! The rotala looks fine to me - if you want it to grow denser, just trim and replant the tops. The cut stems should grow two new stems each.

In terms of colouration, you can limit nitrates to encourage reds, but its a dangerous game to play unless you know exactly what you are doing, as it can lead to deficiencies and algae. It's actually quite surprising how the perceived colouration of red plants varies depending on the lighting above them. You don't mention which light you have, but many lights using white LED's can make red plants look quite dull, whereas those that have dedicated red LED's, or LED's with an individual red element (like the Tri-colour RGB LED's) can really help to make red plants pop.

Nice tank!

Regarding the Rotala sp. H'Ra...
-> How to grow Rotala Rotundifolia

I'm really pleased that you like my scape.
Thank you for the links. I think I've seen the video before but when I watch it again I see that I am not doing things quite right. Too much nitrogen, possibly not enough light. The fertiliser I use is a complete fertilizer and contains nitrogen. Now that I have some livestock in my aquascape I will try a different product and try increasing the light and CO2 a little more.

Great looking first scape! The rotala looks fine to me - if you want it to grow denser, just trim and replant the tops. The cut stems should grow two new stems each.

In terms of colouration, you can limit nitrates to encourage reds, but its a dangerous game to play unless you know exactly what you are doing, as it can lead to deficiencies and algae. It's actually quite surprising how the perceived colouration of red plants varies depending on the lighting above them. You don't mention which light you have, but many lights using white LED's can make red plants look quite dull, whereas those that have dedicated red LED's, or LED's with an individual red element (like the Tri-colour RGB LED's) can really help to make red plants pop.
Thank you. I'm glad you like my scape. I've been trimming and replanting the tops and it's definitely more dense as a result, especially when viewed from above. I think it may be a little bit "leggy" because I knocked back on the light intensity when I saw diatom algae at the start up. I've been gradually increasing it along with the CO2 since then. The fertilizer I am using contains Nitrogen so I may get a different product that doesn't contain nitrogen now that I've introduced livestock, I monitor my ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels routinely anyway using a liquid test kit.
You are correct about the light, I am currently using a budget LED that only has white diodes. My intention in the next couple of months is to invest in something like a Twinstar with RGB and white. Aesthetically it will be much nicer and I'm hoping that it will hepl the colours to "pop" a bit more. I'll get the controller with it too so that I can simulate sunrise and sunset, that way my partner will not jump out of her chair everytime the light goes on or off.

The fertilizer I am using contains Nitrogen so I may get a different product that doesn't contain nitrogen

It's your call, but I wouldn't if I were you. if the rotala is leggy, then you are doing the right thing increasing the light and CO2 slowly, though as I say, it doesn't look to be leggy in the images above.

My intention in the next couple of months is to invest in something like a Twinstar with RGB and white. Aesthetically it will be much nicer and I'm hoping that it will hepl the colours to "pop" a bit more. I'll get the controller with it too so that I can simulate sunrise and sunset, that way my partner will not jump out of her chair everytime the light goes on or off.

lol yes, and your livestock will appreciate a slow switch on and off.

Check our the Chihiros RGB units too if you really want to see colours pop. I believe they are now available on Amazon making them much more accessible to us UK residents.

It's your call, but I wouldn't if I were you. if the rotala is leggy, then you are doing the right thing increasing the light and CO2 slowly, though as I say, it doesn't look to be leggy in the images above.
Ok. Thanks Wookii. I won't be changing my fertiliser anytime soon, I still have plenty of the one I'm currently using and have no intention of wasting it. ;) I'll continue as I am and see what results I can get by adjusting the light and CO2 , hopefully that new light will make a difference too.

Back