• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

First Shrimp

Kevin Johnson

Seedling
Hi,

Until now i have only kept tropical tanks, i have now set up two new tanks that i intend to keep Neo's in they have been running for 5 weeks with sponge filters and both have had a few Neon Tetra's in for 2 weeks, both are planted and the plants are all growing well, my question is are these tanks ready for the shrimp as i wouldn't like to put any in before they are ready. My main concern is the hardness of my water.

NO2 - 0
NO3 - 0
NH3 - 0
PH - 8
KH - 6
GH - 19

Hi,

Until now i have only kept tropical tanks, i have now set up two new tanks that i intend to keep Neo's in they have been running for 5 weeks with sponge filters and both have had a few Neon Tetra's in for 2 weeks, both are planted and the plants are all growing well, my question is are these tanks ready for the shrimp as i wouldn't like to put any in before they are ready. My main concern is the hardness of my water.

NO2 - 0
NO3 - 0
NH3 - 0
PH - 8
KH - 6
GH - 19

should be reading nitrates, to indicate an established cycle, not sure about the water hardness

You may need to give the Nitrate test bottle a harder shake to get a reading. Although it could just be it's heavily plants and very little bioload.

If you can get shrimp locally that are used to the same water that would be your best option.

If you can get shrimp locally that are used to the same water that would be your best option.

+1 neo's normally adapt to the local water and become super hardy so by getting them locally they should thrive in whatever comes out your tap.

Back