• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

First effort - a rod for my back!

Rapid growth continues, need to trim and plant the offcuts but for now just enjoying a happy tank! Still a way to go to achieve the density I want. Great plant recommendations though thanks Guys.
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Time for a change, the lump of wood has a big base and with rocks up front too there’s limited planting opportunities so …, just couldn’t resist this bit of fallen oak from the forest, it’s weathered surface and shape look great and it sticks with my original ethos of using local materials for the hardscape.

I prepared the wood by scrubbing with a wire brush and leaving outside in a water butt to soak then fixed a piece of roofing slate to the base to allow a stone to sit on it to weigh it down.

The install went ok, the tip is emmersed so I’m going to try and grow Java moss on that and other bits. There is certainly some planting space opened up. Water change will be interesting as it has little stability.

Cheers
ECBA3DE2-09CD-4B6A-B9D6-DB6A5FFBBF4D.jpeg

Attachments

• 1DB79F00-FFB9-4560-9991-7E31AFC9663E.jpeg
    1DB79F00-FFB9-4560-9991-7E31AFC9663E.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 65
Settling in well, I like the wood a lot, moss attached at the base so we’ll see if it establishes itself in the coming weeks.

Attachments

• 715820D5-2DB2-4B0E-8A53-37D8F0F1E226.jpeg
    715820D5-2DB2-4B0E-8A53-37D8F0F1E226.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 58
It’s had it’s ups and downs this setup but coming up to 3 years and it’s still so rewarding. It’s time to move some of the emperors on, they’ve nearly doubled their number although the Angels seem to be an effective check on further expansion.
I’ve now gone ‘woodless’ having found that the local chunks of oak wood I foraged had a tendency to BBA, so we’ll see.
Cheers
image.jpg
😁

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Back