• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

First co2 system fish safety tips

Jakwondo

Seedling
Hi everyone I'm new to this site although I've visited many time this is my first post. I've been running tropical tanks for over ten years I've nearly always had live plants I've always wanted to use co2 but I'm scared of killing my fish( my tank is a rio 300 with with tetras and catfish all south american they are all fish that can handle low ph but is well stocked I have internal filter with venturi and airpumps if needed for nighttime) as I'm a novice I was planing to set up a small hitec 45_60cm tank to practice on but yesterday I saw a un-used D&D system on ebay I won it for 10.50 with 6 pound postage. It's not the system I would of chosen as it uses welding type canisters but it was cheep and looks of decent quality and has a solenoid how risky is it for novice to use, as could use it on my rio ( plus wouldn't a Jbl adapt u-m fit allow me to use fire extinguisher) I would have to invest in a drop checker and bubble counter and would probley use a different defuser or would I be safer to try it on smaller tank which I'm going to set up as well (d&d is ideal for the small tank anyway). And then look in to getting a Co2 art system or similar for my Rio300 when I'm more confident with it. It's just I'm tempted to try it out to see if make a difference with hair algae problems in my rio.

The risk is low just as long as you do your research and follow the advice on this forum. Check the tutorial section. The key to CO2 is to start out slowly, just start out at 1 BPS and work your way up and you'll be fine. My only other piece of advice would be beware of the 'end of tank dump', research this and find out if it will happen with your setup.

Thanks I'll have a look at that, I'm sure if sensible and don't overload my tank co2 I should be ok I'll have look on ebay for decent bubble counter thanks again

Hi I finally got my system it not quite the same as though it no gauges with it do you need them or would I be better off get some or a better system

As someone who has just started out with co2 and who managed to gas a tank full of fish... Make sure you start at a time when you are around the tank and will not be going out!

Back