• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

First Attempt

WiggyH

Hi all.
Just thought I would seek opinions, but don't be too harsh as it is the first time.
Having upgraded the equipment, I was starting to get algae growth which I put down to significantly more powerful lighting, and more feed.
So I took the chance to take everything out and have a rescape.
Please ignore the obvious round stone, it's simply to hold down the bogwood.
Front and side view pictures attached.

Equipment is:
Internet 64 litre panorama tank
Fluval 3.0 plant light unit (See lighting regime below)
Biomaster 250 thermo
In-line Co2 diffuser.
Fertiliser is Evolution Aqua 2ml per day.

Hardscape:
Tropica soil over tropica substrate.
Dragonstone.
Bogwood (currently trying to float)

Plants are:
Background.
Vallisneria gigantia
Hygrophila 53b
Echinodorus (not sure what variant)
Mid ground.
Hygrophila pinnatifida
alternanthera reineckii mini
Cryptocorne (not sure what variant)
Staurogyne repens

Epiphyte:
Anubias barteri
Anubias petite
Java fern (hidden under the temp stone)
Hygrophila pinnatifida.

Foreground.
Helanthium
Eleocharis mini.

Attachments

• 20211201_191800.jpg
    20211201_191800.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 497
  • 20211201_191837.jpg
    20211201_191837.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 192
  • Screenshot_20211201-193530_FluvalSmart.jpg
    Screenshot_20211201-193530_FluvalSmart.jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 180
For algae control having only 30min ramp up/ off is easier, and have lights at 6 hours to start with. I really like the lay-out, good Luck!

Hi
You did well for your first attempt.
There are few things that need tweaking imo.
Most important is to adjust your lighting photoperiod as mentioned above.
On water change day push the cryptocoryne a bit deeper in the substrate so the roots are not exposed ,even if you push them too deep they will adjust in time.
The other thing is your outlet direction. It seems it is pointed towards the front(along the short side of the tank).Even if atm is giving you decent flow all around in time as plants grow in I think that will change.I will move the drop checker on that side near the front and lower down(about 1/2 the way down) and move the outflow to run along the back and lenght of the tank.
Just my 2 cents ;)
Good luck with your project 👍
Regards Konstantin

Thanks guys.
Photo period now down to 6 hours, with 30 min ramp up. Slightly longer 1.5 ramp down as it looks good in the lounge evenings.
I have done my first 2 water changes and have deepened the soil around the edges to provide a bit more root cover.
The flow still appears good. Although the outlet is facing forwards, because of the curved frontage of the tank, the flow goes well, but I will monitor.
Fish now back in, and apart from a very old Cardinal, who I'm surprised survived the lift out, all have survived and swimming happily.
Now.
Let it grow.

Hello All.
So, update, 1 month (and a bit) on.

Plants growing well, apart from Java Fern as it has just slowly died off without showing any signs of improvement.
I'm happy with the foreground plants, and thankfully my bogwood has stopped going for a swim.
Just done my first full filter clean, rather than just the pre-filter. But pre-filter cleaned at least weekly.

Only problem at the moment is algae is starting to take hold on the bogwood and rocks. Lighting period has already been reduced as per previous entry, Co2 is stable and green, fertiliser remains the same.
I'm having to scrub the bogwood and rocks, and then 50-60% water change to remove the spores in the water column.
I don't mind the appearance of a bit of algae on the rocks and wood as it gives a more natural 'lived in' appearance, but I don't want it taking over. Already regularly trimming of algae covered leaves.

Any advice on keeping a lid on the algae.

Water changes are now 50% per week, Having starting at 50% daily, then 50% every 3 days, then 50% every 5 days, reducing by the week.

I'm still new to this, and the algae growth is key to gain authority from 'her who must be obeyed', for a larger tank this year. Looking for increasing to 100-140 litre.

Cheers for any help.

Attachments

• 20211201_191800.jpg
    20211201_191800.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 141
  • 20220107_155138.jpg
    20220107_155138.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 146
Back