• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

First attempt -Ciano 58 litre

jamila169

just finished acclimating 1..2..many shrimp and put them in the tank where they've promptly buggered off somewhere more private , did get a glimpse of one before they wombled off to the back of the tank . i ended up buying from this guy 10 + 2 FREE Mixed colours low grade Neocaridina shrimp + FREE FOOD SAMPLES | eBay and they came well packed with polystyrene and a heat pack in a clear bag inside a black bag , topped with a large catappa leaf and some food samples, they're just what I wanted, inconspicuous and no lairy colours though they're identifiably coloured, just very see through. i also got a selection box of glasgarten foods that will last long enough for me to get hold of full tubs

jamila169

:( well , we're down 3 shrimp. water parameters are fine, so It's probably travel related, lights are off and fingers crossed there's no more, do not like fishing upside down shrimps out of the tank

jamila169

down 6 shrimp as of today, there's one little red one that keeps popping up in different places munching away, but no sign of the others, which I hope are just lurking until they get over themselves .I've been keeping things as stable as possible and I've put an airstone in today to see if more flow will discourage the algae on the wood that the Garys have carefully eaten round, it's starting to look a bit poorly already. the Garys are doing a sterling job apart from uprooting some recent plants by crashing into them. If the other shrimps re emerge the right way up, I'll be happier that I'm not wilfully murdering things and that the deaths up to now are down to travel and the new environment. If it all goes pear shaped I'll be taking out the wood for a boilwash

jamila169

Well the Garys approve of the new jacuzzi , they were all gathered round it this morning, egging on the intrepid Gary who was climbing the wall in the bubble stream, still no sign of the shrimpies , but the stubborn algae does. not. like. the stronger flow - I'm thinking of getting one of the Oase thermo corner filters to try to get better filtration , the Ciano one isn't really cutting it even though it's technically ok and the media is in cartridges that aren't really economical, plus I can use the present heater for the cube, can't go external because of the lid and frame

jamila169

still no sign of the shrimp, but no more dead bodies visible -this month's budget has been spent on a better filter because it's getting absolutely minging and I've still got dead spots even when it's newly cleaned -put the manufacturers bio cartridge in , which is a pitiful tablespoonful of biomedia by the feel and look of it . I'm replacing it with an Eheim biopower 160 so i can either have a spray bar or aerated flow, whichever does the best job with the advantage of much more biomedia room . Kicking myself for getting a rimmed tank now b/c I'd go external if I didn't have the lid to contend with

jamila169

Hmm, I have a visitor, only possible sources are my LFS ( not likely b/c the plants I got are mostly in the nano) or the shrimp bloke, but I netted them out individually so no idea how it hitched in , I'm guessing it needs to come out so I don't end up with snail soup?

faa485da33d71b99bb431d858d08a08b.jpg

Sent from my CPH1907 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jamila169

E has decreed that the snail is to pretty to die (I agree , it is pretty), so I guess we have at least one bladder snail in the Gary team , also the tiny shrimp that lives under the biggest rock is still with us and munching away happily, I'd be happier if some of his mates showed themselves though

jamila169

Did a bit of a hoover and small water change today and ! Hallelujah! I think that the only C.Parva that hasn't relocated to plant island (see third picture) has actually made it down to the soil by the look of it's new growth , there's signs that the others have also got their toes in the soil as well. Algae blanket on the wood is pretty much deceased and the Garys have been making short work of it. Plant island has a Val, some lilaeopsis, some hemianthus and two types of crypt drifting around. I've left them because I've been seriously considering changing the substrate to something more conventional,but with things actually behaving as though they're getting established that's gone on the back burner. Due to not being able to get hold of the matching plant light that clips to the lid, I've gone with one of the nicrew submersible plant ones and suckered it to the lid, the light levels are looking a lot better for it and we'll see if it helps the smaller plants. I've also ordered some easycarbo for both tanks we'll see how that goes

a314fbe8a020599fc50e026139d1e9d3.jpg
90189b4d6136768d517e88a4d44eddfe.jpg
e7793644e6cce9ff9ac29dc404947974.jpg

Sent from my CPH1907 using Tapatalk

jamila169

another visitor spotted today - a teeny little emoji sized ramshorn with a clear shell, so they might turn into a handsome member of the cleaning crew, they've got to have come in the LFS plants, so I might end up with some in the cube as well