• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my hardscape First attempt at hard scape. Critique welcome!

Chris Fellows

Hi everyone. I would be grateful for any constructive advice on this, my first ever hard scape attempt.
there is some inert polystyrene packaging foam under the wood, but with plenty of substrate too- is this ok to use?
plan is to have a mini water pump trickle water down the top of the bog wood and grow some plants out if the top of the tank.
Any advice appreciated.
2CE65DA1-2E02-44C5-AEAB-27D946A49FB9.jpeg
8044442E-4B47-4470-BEC5-AE155C160782.jpeg
EDC32563-9E75-4536-BE73-93C427DE07DE.jpeg

Looks cool! I like the scale the wood adds.
How much polystyrene is under it? I'd be concerned about the polystyrene being very buoyant and floating off, spoiling your nice scape!
How high do you plan the water level being? I've had luck growing aquatic moss just above the waterline on wood in my tank, the water wicks up the wood enough that the moss is saturated all the time.

Thanks- I added a bit more wood today to fill in the mid ground a bit. The large bit of wood is very dense and along with a rock I think it should keep the foam down ( I hope ). The wood now protrudes about 4 inches out. I have a mini water pump to trickle water down it continuously to keep plants growing.
Thanks for your input 😃

I agree on the polystyrene - that’s incredibly botany stuff, unless you’ve go it stuck down it’s going to try and pop up. Same goes for your wood - make sure it fully soaked and sinking before you fill your tank.

I agree on the polystyrene - that’s incredibly botany stuff, unless you’ve go it stuck down it’s going to try and pop up. Same goes for your wood - make sure it fully soaked and sinking before you fill your tank.

Sorry ‘buoyant’ not ‘botany’ - damned iPhone auto-correct! :banghead:

Back