• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fire extinguisher CO2

For anyone worrying about problems regarding the riser tube in a FE and a froozen regulator. Which is relatively unlikely to happen, because of the regulator is just letting a tiny bit out. I tested it first with only a needle valve (without regulator) which has a bottle adapter on it and it didn't spray liquid Co2, even a fully opened needle valve wasn't enough to get liquid co2 out. Used it for a few days like that without any isues because the regulator hadn't arived yet. Well not totaly true, the issue was can't realy regulate the bubblecount, because the presure in the bottle drops and the bubblecount changes. But there were no strange dangerous side effects besides of that.

This is the needle valve (Old laboratory equipment)
8X79mQN.jpg

But if you realy worry, find yourself a set of clips to hang the FE to the wall, hang it upsidedown, then the riser tube will become a fall tube :) problem solved. Than you have to stand on your head to read the clocks.. But actualy there is no problem.. :)

Hi all! I would like to know if I can use a medical O2 regulator on a co2 fire extinguisher? What are the consequences?

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Tapatalk

Tim is right, it just wont fit Co2 bottle has W21,8x1/14" external thread..
O2 bottle has G5/8" internal thread. :)

Also CO2 pressure is 55bar, O2 can be upto 300 bar.

Doesn't really matter for the regulator i geuss. Not totaly sure. In the welding industry the co2 regulator is also suitable for argon, which has 200 bar.. i'm using an old Co2/Argon welding regulator it's manometer goes up to 300 bar. Used oxygen for gass welding in the past and these are filled at 150 bar.. :) I believe scuba and other breathing bottles go up to 300..

Thanx for the replies guys! But I'm not sure I quite understand?
You say co2 pressure is 55 bar and 02 is 300 bar, so the O2 regulator won't work on the co2 bottle cause the pressure is too low @ 55 bar, that's besides the connection?

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Tapatalk

Presure isn't the isue.. :) As said the co2 regulator are combined also used for nitrogen (50 bar) and argon bottles (200 bar) and fit to take 300 bar. And if in an oxygene tank the presure drops to 55 bar when it empties over time it still is good to go and regulated.

Your consern is the bottle thread, this just can't fit.. It's also not realy recomended to DIY screw on another bottle connector. It's to dangerous to DIY take apart and screw around with high pressurized regulators and connectors. If something happens the insurance will say by by, no pay today and probably cant repair the hole in you head too. There for this information is no where to find and nobody will/can give other recomandations then buy a fit co2 regulator.. :)

Right...O2 cylinders have up to 230bar pressure for larger ones, smaller ones (used by medics) are 130bar, a lot of O2 regulators are designed only for 130bar and have threads too prevent connecting to wrong cylinder type. Also tend to be either low pressure outputs 0-3 bar (face mask) or high pressure 0-15 bar (distribution) again not really suitable for aquarium use where going above 5 bar will burst things. Also fitted with O2 resistant plastics/rubber seals which may not be CO2 resistant.

So basically as stated get a proper CO2 regulator and it works.

I have one of these, works fine, very controllable.
http://www.co2supermarket.co.uk/co2...id-magnetic-valve-horizontal-valves-p181.html

Doesn't really matter for the regulator i geuss. Not totaly sure. In the welding industry the co2 regulator is also suitable for argon, which has 200 bar.. i'm using an old Co2/Argon welding regulator it's manometer goes up to 300 bar. Used oxygen for gass welding in the past and these are filled at 150 bar.. :) I believe scuba and other breathing bottles go up to 300..
I guess your right I've been using this for 3 years
1DA01BFF-B9A5-4E78-A4EA-0A760475F686_zpshaoo3pwx.jpg

if you look you will find that the diaphrams are made from stainless steel in good quality regs so are co2 safe.

Last edited:
I'm using this one.. :)
lrBQHQp.jpg

It's an oldtimer :) i just love vintage as is the needle valve.. Also from the welding industry as you see up to 300 bar. Bought it via ebay for €25 i believe.
i guess if you go for second hand, it's always a gamble how the quality is after years of use. Since i'm on a PH controler, little bubble count fluctuations aren't realy a big isue.
:)

There is one place in surrey. In North Cheam. They are also open on Saturday. They charge 20 pounds for a refill

I'm taking my co2art pro-se reg down to huddersfield tomorrow as I have hopefully found a hydroponics co2 supplier, 6.5kg bottle for £30 and £12 refill. they are not online to buy from so if the reg fits I'll post details about the place.

I'm taking my co2art pro-se reg down to huddersfield tomorrow as I have hopefully found a hydroponics co2 supplier, 6.5kg bottle for £30 and £12 refill. they are not online to buy from so if the reg fits I'll post details about the place.

If you don’t have any luck then Towler and Stains do pub gas. We got ours from the Keighley branch but I think their main branch is in Bradford.

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. I accept no responsibility for any loss, damage or injury suffered if you follow this 'manual' and something goes wrong, that's YOUR fault not mine.

The reg didn't actually fit quite as snug as I had expected however its working find so no problems :) and this might be the same with all regs and cylinders to ensure a secure fit.

Hello, trying to do a C02 setup followed you tut thanks for that. I bought a reg (W21.8-14) and FE but the FE horn adapter is female around 15mm (seems like that is all they sell in Australia cant find ones with the screw on w21.8) :(
As above your post said it didn't fit quite snugly I was wondering do you think this adapter would work please can't seem to find a specific one anywhere even C02 art. I would also use the rubber seal from the FE horn
Kinetic 20 x 15mm Brass Threaded Hex Reducing Nipple
Web_1200x900-Nipple-Hex-Reducing-Brass-20mm-x-15mm.jpg

Back