• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fire extinguisher CO2

Right the time has come to start my CO2 FE set up and have been looking at purchasing all my supplies to get going. This is what I'm was going to pick up to run in a Jewel Trigon 350. Before I push the buy it now button I wanted to double check with everyone here that I am indeed buying the right stuff for the size of aquarium and if I'm missing anything important.

CO2 Diffuser
ceramic Spiro V Glass CO2 Diffuser Aquarium large planted Pollen T Beetle | eBay

Bubble Counter
Golde Brass Bubble Counter check vlave for Co2 Solenoid Regulatorn Aquarium | eBay

Regulator
Co2 Dual Gauged Magnetic Valve SOLENOID Regulator Manometer for Aquarium Plant | eBay

and a FE and tubing as well

Thanks again Ryan

1745001.jpg

Like above but put a spray bar in each tank. You will need two needle valves etc so that you can adjust flow to each tank. If you use just one off tee'ed to two tanks the CO2 will take the path of least resistance and basically end up going in just one tank.

On my 180litre tank I got the following from my 2Kg FE's.

1. 255 days.
2. 137 days - Leaking from cracked bubble counter.
3. 60 days - Leaking from bubble counter connections.
4. Currently 49 days old, CO2 still sloshes around inside, so quite a lot left. Unfortunately a very old cylinder (Aug 2003) and when full, weighs over the 5.5Kg my scales can measure, so no idea how much left. A modern FE cylinder with my regulator attached is 5.38Kg going down to (obviously) 3.38Kg when empty.

I have 180l tank with JBL bubble counter running 1-2 bubble per second, for 8 hours, using UP inline diffuser and drop checker green at lights on.

So you
- could have a leak, which is why my cylinders 2 & 3 emptied so quickly. Only realised no. 3 had a major leak when FE had emptied so quickly.
- too much surface agitation, so loosing gas.
- poor CO2 diffusing method.
- Supplied with a non full tank !! (full weight is stamped on side 4.85Kg on the one near me at work).

cheers for the info thats helped.

Could be a leak some where?
co2 is dissolved by diy reactor.
very little surface agitation so ruling that out.
I dont use a bubble counter, co2 tubing goes straight from the solenoid into the reactor via 1 check valve.
I bought the FE online form a fire extinguisher company but it was a refurbed one and didnt have a weight stamped on it?

I'll check the connections for leaks.

It should have the weight stamped on it, like this, 4.87Kg.
uvp4.jpg

This is how to determine, during inspection, how much gas is in the extinguisher.

Must also have, by law, the manufacturer/inspection house, serial number, the empty weight (tare), full weight, CE mark built to, test and burst pressure and date of manufacture/last inspection. Fill pressure is not needed as normally constant 55bar for CO2.

I dont use a bubble counter, co2 tubing goes straight from the solenoid into the reactor via 1 check valve.
My first check valve, after starting CO2 setup, leaked after a month or two. This was an air check valve and the plastic went "misty" and it leaked CO2 at the seams WHEN bent slightly. So first dunk underwater for leak testing, nothing all. Applied slight force to valve and bubbles streamed out. Also the internal rubber diaphragm appeared to have melted/distorted.

I now know this is due to CO2 attacking the plastic and dissolving in rubber and I should have been using proper CO2 proof valve. I know have a UP CO2 one way valve, the one with locking nuts.

Back