• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fine tuning CO2

DaveWatkin

Hey Guys,

Been monitoring my CO2 levels for a couple of days and wanted to see if you experts can see anything I should maybe adjust?

As you can see in the data, I already moved my CO2 on time to 2 hours before lights on the 19th as I noticed it wasn't near enough to steady at lights on when I monitored on the 18th. I have also added an extra half hour to both prior to the 23rd, I am adding a half hour each Saturday currently to bring it up to 8 hour photoperiod.

Dropchecker is always green as CO2 is not fully dissipating overnight so only a 0.6-0.7 ph drop each day but I estimate I am at about 25ppm (other non CO2 tanks using same water have PH of about 7.35) which is fine for me, plants are thriving and I have no algae.

Should I bring the CO2 time forward slightly more to have a smoother lighting period as I notice it is still dropping slightly after lights on. I know @ceg4048 will straight away advise adjusting flow or diffusion as the drop is too slow but I've tried a few things with what I have and this is the best setup I've found for getting the bubbles across the whole tank and a good lime green DC. The filter pump can be turned up but then it's like a whirlwind and there are RCS flying everywhere. I loose a lot of gas at the surface but I think with this size tank there isn't much other option without going external and I'm not looking to change any equipment just now.

Am I making any major mistakes?

Attachments

• 180221.PNG
    180221.PNG
    27.6 KB · Views: 177
  • 190221.PNG
    190221.PNG
    26.6 KB · Views: 121
  • 230221.PNG
    230221.PNG
    27.6 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_20210223_180722.jpg
    IMG_20210223_180722.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 145
  • IMG_20210223_180741.jpg
    IMG_20210223_180741.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 130
Should I bring the CO2 time forward slightly more to have a smoother lighting period as I notice it is still dropping slightly after lights on. I know @ceg4048 will straight away advise adjusting flow or diffusion as the drop is too slow but I've tried a few things with what I have and this is the best setup I've found for getting the bubbles across the whole tank and a good lime green DC. The filter pump can be turned up but then it's like a whirlwind and there are RCS flying everywhere. I loose a lot of gas at the surface but I think with this size tank there isn't much other option without going external and I'm not looking to change any equipment just now.

Am I making any major mistakes?
Hi Dave,
The most important "parameter" is plant health, period. If the plants are doing fine then stop right there and leave well enough alone. Our advice is normally aimed at those who are struggling to get their plants healthy. There is no point in tinkering if you've achieved the goal. 🏆

Cheers,

Well that's good to hear. Plants are doing great, just trimmed the MC less than two weeks ago and is already thick again and ready for another trim this weekend.

Back