• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

FINALLY! a heated mini filter!

No adjustment unfortunately, they are rated at 300lph but with restrictions of pipe etc I don't think you'll be much over the 10x volume.

I'm running a oase 100 on my 35cm cube and that's 14x volume per hour and that doesn't seem excessive, I do use a "spiral" Lilly pipe that gets the volume through it without the jet like flow of the normal ones.

Finally got my tank up and running, took a few pictures of the process.

First take plug out and stick in blue converter, put the tab to the right side of the inlet and turn clockwise to lock it in. The tab will touch the body but it still locks it in place.
Save the black tube with holes in but throw the rest as they won't fit this filter.
IMG-20210508-WA0018.jpg

Now push the heater in all the way till it stops, this should be tight on the o'ring if you've got the right size, putting a little water on the heater helps.
IMG-20210508-WA0025.jpg

Next you need to cut 25mm from the black tube with holes in as it's too long for the filter.
once you have done this put the tube in the filter cut side facing up. You can put the top on the filter to show you where the black tube needs to sit to match up with the heater.
it's pretty much exactly in the middle of the chamber, it should look like this.
IMG-20210508-WA0008.jpg
Carefully hold the black tube in place with your fingers and fill the chamber with your bio media. Make sure the tube doesn't move while you do this or that any media goes down the tube.
I use matrix by seachem, I just use the smaller peices as you can fit more in, fill it so it's abit below the lip. This will hold the tube in place now.
IMG-20210508-WA0012.jpg

Then just put the top on and lock the filter up and you are ready to go. I do plan to cut abit of the blue foam out and squeeze a bag of sechem puigen in there too.
IMG-20210508-WA0014.jpg

Connect it up and you are away, I managed to hide the filter and Co2 in the shoe cupboard, it's abit awkward as the draw opens forward so the filter and the co2 are diagonal and move as draw comes forward. I've cable tied them to the shelf to secure them.

I left extra slack on the wires, tubes etc so it all works well. Managed to fit all the plugs in the top draw. Still needs a tidy but I've had enough for today!

PXL_20210508_162906362.jpg

PXL_20210508_164523851.jpg
PXL_20210508_164503703.jpg

Last edited:
Amazing thank Ash!!

I’ve bought the filter for £20 and ordered the thermo parts.

Where did you get your lily pipes from? I’ve been struggling to find any that are the right size for the Eden 9/12 tubing.

Cheers monkfish!
I got them from Amazon, it was originally for main tank but I must of messed up the sizes because when it came it was way to small, luckily I saved it and could use it on this tank.

took me awhile to find as I wanted one that bent back on itself so it didnt stick out to far into the tank, and bent slightly downward so it had good flow around the carpet plants.

It was similar to this. Amazon product ASIN B01N6SM1V6

Hmm I've never had any experience with the acrylic ones, that looks like a jet type outlet, might be abit much for your tank.

I Brought this set from eBay but only ended up using the inlet from it. The outlets good if you're worried about flow though.

Oh cool thanks. I found a 10mm version of that style in eBay so I’ll go for one of those. I’m sure I’ll find 10mm inlet.

I’ll then spend 30 mins staring at them in fear I’m going to break them as soon as I bring the pipes within 5 yard of them haha

Just a quick update, fish tank was around 22c was set to about 26c.
The room was about 18c
So under achieving by around 4c

I took the filter apart, the water in the black tube was warm so my initial thoughts are that a lot of the water was taking the easy route and going over the top divider instead of through the bio media and out the bottom, so it's not pulling the heat from the filter fast enough.

I've cut a little bit of filter foam to wedge at the top of the divider to make it harder for water to bypass the heater. The picture is of the foam doubled up but this was too thick so I ended up using single ply, it's about 15mm thick and a very small grade. PXL_20210509_084019668.jpg

It seems to be helping it out, I'll post findings later tonight, I've also ordered the superfish pro 50w just incase this one is abit of a dud, I can't even remember which tank I used to use it on, think it's pretty old.

Hello ash bash
Can you post the link for the heater please & what’s a thermo converter?
I’ve just bought a boyu Ef-05, which looks similar, does the heater fit into the water priming opening & how do you get a good seal? Big thanks
Regards andy p
Hi @Andy P, did the oase converter fit the boyu Ef-05 in the end?

hello there-alas no
the depth of the boyu lid/circular opening is not deep enough & the fitting won’t click into slots to tighten-looking @ oase filtosmart 60, though the heater fits superbly into the oase fitting so 1/2 way there!
regards andy p

@Ash_bash Does the water in the filter flow through the Matrix first and then in to the foam section? If do you think it would work to swap them around, so the water flows in foam first to catch bit particles and then through the Matrix? I was always led to believe foams should go before the bio media in a canister, but of course I could be wrong!

Hi there I have a allpondsolutions 25w heater was wondering if it would fit? Thankyou so much this thread is a lifesaver!

Seems like an intriguing idea. I've been using a similiar filter for my 6.3g nano long for a year now but over here in Canada it's marketed as the Zoo-med line (I'm using something called the Zoo-Med 15. Works well but they are set-up backwards, meaning water is pumped through the biological media first and the sponges last. I reversed this set-up and have the intake hitting sponges first, then the bio media and lastly some purigen before exiting. Makes more sense and has worked well for over a year. I've tried the smaller glass lily pipes but find the flow is a bit low for my longer tank so have gone back to the included spray bar. The only downside to these little canisters is that they can't be hidden under the tank since the pumps are too weak to pump water up. They need to stand behind or beside the tank.

Back