• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

FINALLY! a heated mini filter!

Ash_bash

I've been searching high and low the last few weeks for a small filter with a built in heater to no avail.

I can't belive nobody has made one, nano aquascapes are the hardest to hide equipment in and yet there's nothing out there.

Im running a oase thermo 100 on my 35cm cube which works brilliantly but is abit too large and powerful for my 25L nano im setting up.
I saw the oase filtosmart 60 has the same blanking cap as the bigger versions you can convert to the thermo's with an extra part.

After some research i found that the filtosmart 60s are too small for any of the oase heaters, although the Thermofit converter still does fit into the blanking socket!

I've found that a "SuperFish Nano 50w" has the same circumference glass heating element as the oase, but are much shorter, so they fit and seal perfectly in the oase filtosmart 60! The perfect little filter heater combo for nano/picto aquariums!

The actual filter i brought is from Eden who got brought out by oase. exactly the same as the oase version but with a semi transparent case (you can see when filter gets mucky).

Amazon had a sale on eden filter for £28
Heater was £15
Thermo converter was about £7

So a great little thermo filterfor around £50, a bargin i thought, what do you guys think?

Attachments

• 16161771183614953012782161980488.jpg
    16161771183614953012782161980488.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 2,427
  • 16161772233597598858577258661499.jpg
    16161772233597598858577258661499.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 1,653
Nice mod, been looking at nano filters myself.

I have an aps ef-150 which the flow is weak and an aquaone 400 which is noisy. Do you have a link to the filter?

Nice work mate. Wonder if they know it works and were waiting for a world exclusive release. Haha. You got there first.

Genius solution, I've been eyeing up these Eden filters for a while. I was intrigued by Pondguru's video of them, it seems the water takes in interesting route through the canister/media.

Hello ash bash
Can you post the link for the heater please & what’s a thermo converter?
I’ve just bought a boyu Ef-05, which looks similar, does the heater fit into the water priming opening & how do you get a good seal? Big thanks
Regards andy p

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1,138
Hi andy, yeah that does look similar.
The thermo converter is somthing oase sells, they basically sell two filters one with a heater in the other with just a blanking cap.
But you can buy the part to turn it into the thermo version of the filter.

the converter is just a plastic part that you swap out for the blanking plug and has a smaller opening thats the same size as the glass heater tube, that seals on a rubber o-ring.

Its abit of a gamble as im not sure if the blanking plug on yours will be the same as oase use.
Amazon product ASIN B01MV2KLOX
Heaters been rebranded but looks identical

Amazon product ASIN B07YV5LZ2F

Last edited:
Hello again & thanks. I'm intrigued-just set up a 30x30x30 25L tank & it doesn't look too good with all the necessaries in it (chihiros/heater/HOB filter & DIY C02) so bought 'pad' style heater but its still obtrusive; I just bought this from AliX :

7.66US $ 12% OFF|Aquarium Submersible Fish Tank Automatic Water Heater 20/40/60/80/100W Adjustable Temperature Heating Rod Thermostat Heater Rod|Temperature Control Products| - AliExpress

Looks good & it's 11.3cm long & will blend in the back plants-but the ability to put a heater in the filter is even less stuff in the tank; is yours up & running ok? thanks again for the advice & links
regards andy p

I've been searching high and low the last few weeks for a small filter with a built in heater to no avail.

I can't belive nobody has made one, nano aquascapes are the hardest to hide equipment in and yet there's nothing out there.

Im running a oase thermo 100 on my 35cm cube which works brilliantly but is abit too large and powerful for my 25L nano im setting up.
I saw the oase filtosmart 60 has the same blanking cap as the bigger versions you can convert to the thermo's with an extra part.

After some research i found that the filtosmart 60s are too small for any of the oase heaters, although the Thermofit converter still does fit into the blanking socket!

I've found that a "SuperFish Nano 50w" has the same circumference glass heating element as the oase, but are much shorter, so they fit and seal perfectly in the oase filtosmart 60! The perfect little filter heater combo for nano/picto aquariums!

The actual filter i brought is from Eden who got brought out by oase. exactly the same as the oase version but with a semi transparent case (you can see when filter gets mucky).

Amazon had a sale on eden filter for £28
Heater was £15
Thermo converter was about £7

So a great little thermo filterfor around £50, a bargin i thought, what do you guys think?
Hello again Ash_Bash, grateful for further advice

Do you put the heater on the 'in' side or 'out' side & through the middle of the sponge or the bags of filter media? thanks
I've noticed there's a lot of advice on using seachem matrix/purigen with polyester stuffing on the outside of filters-in those specific layers for crystal clear H20

regards andy p

Hello again Ash_Bash, grateful for further advice

Do you put the heater on the 'in' side or 'out' side & through the middle of the sponge or the bags of filter media? thanks
I've noticed there's a lot of advice on using seachem matrix/purigen with polyester stuffing on the outside of filters-in those specific layers for crystal clear H20

regards andy p
Hi again Andy,
I was going to put it through my seachem matrix bio media as that's where you put it on the thermo model's, the conversion kit comes with a kind of sleeve with holes in that keeps abit of a gap away from the media so it can get rid of its heat.

I normally do away with my sponge in favour of more biomedia and a pack of purgem, amazing stuff, keeps the water crystal clear! My bioloads pretty low anyway to be fair.

Hope this helps :)

Good evening & thanks.
Yes, great help & I'll be sure to get matrix/purigen for when I set it up; if I can't get the thermometer to fit in the Boyu I'll opt for an Oase 60 like you originally mentioned in your message (they're about £51 though which kind of defies my budget approach-but its for the best long-term I think) keep you posted
regards andy p

morning Ash
Got the filtosmart 100 parts, can you advise me what bits go where please? Really appreciated-hope it fits the boyu! Have fab BH weekend
Regards andy p

Attachments

• 9466EAF1-5317-4216-8E08-AC3B093CEE0D.jpeg
    9466EAF1-5317-4216-8E08-AC3B093CEE0D.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,323
Hi Andy
The heater fits inside the blue collar it will be a tight fit to make a good seal.
1619865072500.png

The 3 other parts are for inside an Oase Filter.....so might not fit.
hoggie

Last edited:
Is this the Eden 501? I’ve just found one on marketplace for £20 and already have a nano heater 50w so going to give it a go.

The filter will be sitting on a desk the same level as the tank. Do you think this would cause issues using it?

Hi guys sorry forgot about this thread, I decided to do a dry start method so haven't set up the filter yet, I'll be setting it up over the weekend though so I'll try and take some pictures of how to set it up.

Yeah it's an Eden 501 monkfish, nah there will be no issues with it being at the same level, if anything it will increase flow because of the lack of head pressure.

I was going to put mine on the same level but I've. Come up with a way of storing it in the shoe cupboard.

Thats great thanks. Do you know if the filter has a flow adjuster on it? I'm going tp pair it with a 23l tank and didn't;t want to cause a whirlpool haha

Back