• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filtration & Flow

Lincs Planter

Setting up a new planted tank 300l after displacement roughly. I currently have an FX4 filter but this not big enough so looking at new options and thinking of using an Eheim 350T or something similar with an AI Nero 3.

Had looked at Oase Biomaster but not sure if there are more problems that it's worth with them. Thought it might be a better solution than two filters and have increased controllable flow in the main tank. Has anyone tried any of the gyre pumps?

Out of interest, what is it about the FX4 that you don't like in regards to being big enough? The pump is more powerful than the Eheim 350T.

On paper it is but actual flow is around 1500-2000lph and the hosing is a pain to splice anything into without modification and way too many points of failure to do it without reducing the flow even further.

I think that is a good option, really - i.e. let the filter be the filter and get a separate device for flow control.

That's what I was thinking coming from the reef side it's much easier to attain the 30 - 50 x turnover using a gyre or power head or three and using the filter as a filter. Saves having to throw water through the filter too quickly or worse cleaning the water too much and taking out the nutrients that would be beneficial to our planted tanks.

Your filter capacity and flow are more than adequate coupled with the use of a powerhead or gyre but I can understand you wanting to get away from the the ribbed hoses plus having the addition of external heating. The Nero 3 is programmable through the app with time, power and function, I use one in a 90x55x53cm 230l tank at 15% while CO2 is on and 1% when off so still plenty of power remaining. It moves a large volume of water around the the tank without creating a vortex but as @seedoubleyou mentioned above the Jebao SLW is a lot cheaper and probably performs in a similar capacity. @Zeus. used gyres on his 500l aquarium, Olympus is Calling, to great effect Olympus is Calling..
At the end of the day the choice is yours.

Back