• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filtration Advice pls!!

tko187

Hi peeps,

Once again i need your advice on something. I have a Rio 180 (40g) heavily planted tank, currently i am running only a Fluval 305 external filter, with 2 hydor koralia powerheads for extra flow, even still i am having problems with a lot of dead spots in the tank and also detriuus build up in certain areas. I want to create the extra flow by maybe adding another filter or just buying another bigger filter such as the fx5 or similar.

Im a bit confused if i were to add another filter, would that mean having 2 inlets and 2 outlets in the tank or is there another way of incorporating the tubing into existing filter pipework? If it means that i have to have 2 of each inlet/outlet then i will definately have to do the other option and have just a sigle larger filter.

Now with that out the way, which filter would you recommend for a 180 lite tank?? Something that will be sufficient enough so i can maybe lose 1 powerhead, but id like to keep other for co2 distribution. Please keep in mind that currently turn 1 powerhead off at 7pm when my co2 goes off to give the fish a break which i think they rather enjoy, so the filter choice has to bear in mind that i dont want it to be too crazy for the fish all of the time.

Thanks for taking the time to read and thanks in advance.

Fire away, im all ears.

If you want to achieve the norm on here - 10x the turn over of water and loose your HK pumps you are going to have two filter unit which will involve two intakes / outlets.

I have a Eheim 2080 OEM rated @ 1800 lph - yes with no media, once full of media is pushing about 900 / 1000 lph, so with this in mind you would require 2 off. A 2080 has two inlets and one outlet - just think of all those pipes within the interior - I think we can rule this one out for you. You could have 2 x Tetratec 2400, but I have heard they are very noisy - what about a pair of TT1200 - just a few option from me and I dare say more advise will follow from other members.

Regards
paul.

Thankyou Flyfisherman, i deffo dont want all that pipework in my tank. Will a Fluval fx5 not do the job?

Thanks FFM, vey handy links indeed. I think both are good filter. The reason i cant have twou filters in my tank is i hav e juwel tank with lighting incorporated in the hood which sit flush. Also the gap for inlets and outlets isnt big enough for me to even have two pipes goin in the tank, any way to remedy this??

I dont know i think i might go for the Fluval over the Ehiem, why cos i already have a Fluval and am happy with it so far, also the flow in tank seems to be more over the Ehiem.

So 1 filter, which will it be, still deciding.

I seen build up in a few areas of tank , mostly being far left side from inlet where the flow becomes weaker as it reaches the other side so detrius has started to bild up here, and also on the hairgrass has started to attract hair algae i think! I chucked in a juwel powerhead in for a bit to give it a blast and the amount of crap i mad come up in cartain parts of the tank was not nice.

Any prices or places where i can get the cheapest ?? Will probably by local but the shop will price match, so any links for good prices would be handy. I have been looking around but not sure!

Thank you again.

Hi,

I'd go for a TT EX1200 and keep the two koralia's but put them on a timer with your co2 (don't forget to use the fishguards though if you have them on a timer). Maybe go for larger koralia's if you find you need to later.

At least if the detrius is always collecting in the same spot you will know where to syphon it out from come water change time........

The real issue is of course is co2 and fert distribution. The plants/algae will tell you if this is an issue or not. I wouldn't worry about detrius build up but would about low co2 areas within the tank.

Regards, Chris.

Back