• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

FiltoSmart Thermo 100 upgrade?

si walker

Hi.
I have above said filter. Think its pretty great and ticks all the box's, but i am wondering if anyone who has this small external has managed to use different foams or change the ceramic rings (from around the heater) for something with a bit more surface area? Space is really limited in there and i think that the bottom portion of the filter has to be pretty free for flowing water?
I did watch the Pond Guru guy do an upgrade on the 300? but it did not have a heater and so changes the idea completely as the water in the tank could stop flowing around the heater.
Anyway lets see what you are up to?
Thanks for reading!

I’d say bite the bullet and go for the oase biomaster 250 thermo. You would have a much lager surface area for media, and it will give a larger flow rate. With the biomaster 250 thermo, the prefilter is great because you don’t have to take the whole filter apart to clean it. I’ve used a filtosmart 200 thermo in the past, and i must say, the biomaster 250 thermo is better. You would have 4 trays, one for mechanical filtration, 2 for biological media, and one for chemical filtration. I use purigen in my chemical tray and it makes the water pristine.

Hi all,

You don't need a huge amount of biological filter material, as long as it is all oxygenated.

cheers Darrel
Would biological media in a canister filter be considered oxygenated enough to be of benefit?

Hi all,
Would biological media in a canister filter be considered oxygenated enough to be of benefit?
........ and that is the <"million dollar question">. For me the answer is <"yes it can"> and <"nothing else really matters more">. This means no mechanical filtration media (floss etc ) within the filter body and no using your filter as a syphon etc.

Because we <"can't easily measure oxygen levels in the filter">, we need to design systems where <"oxygen supply always exceeds oxygen demand">.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Hi.
I have above said filter. Think its pretty great and ticks all the box's, but i am wondering if anyone who has this small external has managed to use different foams or change the ceramic rings (from around the heater) for something with a bit more surface area? Space is really limited in there and i think that the bottom portion of the filter has to be pretty free for flowing water?
I did watch the Pond Guru guy do an upgrade on the 300? but it did not have a heater and so changes the idea completely as the water in the tank could stop flowing around the heater.
Anyway lets see what you are up to?
Thanks for reading!
I have been using FiltoSmart Thermo 100 for nearly 2 months now. From the start I got rid of the sloped sponge designated for the 3rd 'compartment' (if you counted first from the heater's compartment), replaced it with LECA balls + lava rocks/pieces (in a filter bag). I staffed all the default white ceramic rings in the heater compartment and kept the default middle sponge. I soaked all media with the gunk from my other tank before the cycling was started - took 4 weeks to complete the cycling (I have permanent aeration for the tank) - so far so good.

Coming from Biomaster 250, I think this FiltoSmart 100 is fine but ya I would much prefer Biomaster's prefilter for maintenance purposes ha. In hindsight, yes the size could be bigger, I should have gone for FiltoSmart 200 (~6L in volume) vs 100 (~2L volume), for a small price difference (I mainly got the 100 for 13mm pipes).

I’d say bite the bullet and go for the oase biomaster 250 thermo. You would have a much lager surface area for media, and it will give a larger flow rate. With the biomaster 250 thermo, the prefilter is great because you don’t have to take the whole filter apart to clean it. I’ve used a filtosmart 200 thermo in the past, and i must say, the biomaster 250 thermo is better. You would have 4 trays, one for mechanical filtration, 2 for biological media, and one for chemical filtration. I use purigen in my chemical tray and it makes the water pristine.
Fully agreed here.

I would say Filtosmart thermo 100/200 is fine for nano tanks (up to 60L), honestly it is pricey for the performance/size but it is so nice to have no heater in sight in small tanks. For bigger tanks definitely I would go for Biomaster range - the price point is justified for the much bigger media volumes and personally to me the time-saving aspect for doing maintenance is so worth it.

Back