• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filter Pad and Outlet Pipe Maintenance

JM155

Hi all

I have an Eheim Ecco Pro 130 external filter in a 55l tanks, we reasonably heavy planting. I am also using an Eheim surface skimmer. I had a couple of quick questions as I am pretty new to external filters:

1. For the first two weeks I used the media, white filter pad and charcoal filter pad. I removed the charcoal filter pad as the instructions suggested. I was wondering how often the filter pad needs to be changed as I have only had it 5 weeks and it seems really dirty (even after cleaning)?

2. If I was to change the filter pad, how would I go about it? Presumably I wouldn’t just take it out and replace it with a fresh one? I was under the impression that I need to keep the existing one in as there is healthy bacteria in there.

3. What is the best way to clean glass lily pipes and filter tubing? Mine has a bit of brown algae build up.

Thanks in advance!

I have an Eheim Ecco Pro 130 external filter in a 55l tanks, we reasonably heavy planting. I am also using an Eheim surface skimmer. I had a couple of quick questions as I am pretty new to external filters:

1. For the first two weeks I used the media, white filter pad and charcoal filter pad. I removed the charcoal filter pad as the instructions suggested. I was wondering how often the filter pad needs to be changed as I have only had it 5 weeks and it seems really dirty (even after cleaning)?

for 55L tank, Ecco Pro 130 is way too less flow rate/turnover. whats the surface skimmer flow rate?
white filter pad clogs easily and impede the flow, you need to attend to filter very frequently.
throw it away and never replace saves you time, money and provide you a bit more water circulation.
all gurus here hate white filter pad, I tossed mine as soon as i joined this club..

2. If I was to change the filter pad, how would I go about it? Presumably I wouldn’t just take it out and replace it with a fresh one? I was under the impression that I need to keep the existing one in as there is healthy bacteria in there.

Yes, there is no point cleaning the white filter pad. toss it in the bin and replace with a new one if you are a die hard fan of it.
healthy bacteria will colonize on all the surfaces of the tank. your heavily planted tank needs a lot more circulation than white pad.

3. What is the best way to clean glass lily pipes and filter tubing? Mine has a bit of brown algae build up.

best way is to have a second set of glass lily pipes, you use one while you soak the other dirty set in bleach or you can use the stock eheim intake and return while you soak the glass lily pipes.
for tubing, you have to have this... I clean my tubing every 6 months and I dont have OCD...:)
kvpXeJW.jpg

Back