• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filter Media

Bonesaqua

Hi,

I am almost close to setting up my first planted tank. just waiting on a few more items. I am currently setting up my SUNSUN 302 filter. It came with foam media and BOYU and SUNSUN ceramic media.

I have placed some ceramic media at the bottom and then the bottom tray with three layers of foam. Medium, Medium and fine. I am waiting for my coarse foam order.

The next tray is filled with fine foam thin layer in the bottom topped with ceramic media(Mix of Boyu, SUNSUN and TRETATEC Ceramic rings.

The topmost tray is currently having fine foam which I will replace with Ceramic media.

The top most tray should I use Matrix/ Purigen or just any ceramic media or any other suggestion. Is the Purigen good for planted tank?

Regards,
B

Hi
The Purigen is good in planted tanks takes amonia and tannins out of the water but tad expensive.As for the filter setup make sure the water flows first trough the foams for mechanical and then trough the biological media.Most of the biological filtration in planted tanks is carried out by the plants make sure the fine foam doesn't reduse the flow too much.U need good flow in planted tanks to deliver nutrients to plants all over the tank surface.
Regards Konsa

Back