• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filter Hoses

I’m in the process of upgrading filters so I’m switching from 12/16 to 16/22 hose. It’s not that easy to get on so hot water will definitely be needed to fit the hoses. I’m thinking of putting a very small smear of silicone grease on the fittings to make them easier to remove later on. Anyone else do this? I’ve done it before and not had any problems.

What are you attaching? Glass lily pipes or plastic components @Aqua sobriquet ?
Stainless Steel inlet and outlet but I’ll be putting Eheim single taps in the lines near the filter for when the hoses need cleaning. I’d use double taps but they are expensive now and I already have a pair of singles.

I don’t know how people get on with glass pipes without breaking them.

Glass lily pipes need pushing inwards with a twist to release. It breaks the seal from tight contact and usually water and biofilm flood in to lubricate the release from each other.

Had plastic fittings from Eheim that have been so well stuck to piping, only developing Tourette’s followed by cutting the piping off with a Stanley knife has worked.

The Eheim double taps have twist locks holding the pipe in place, so wouldn’t be so worried about using silicone spray on those to aid in dismantling them. The locking nut also holds them together on the barb.

However, if its plastic/stainless steel inlet/outlets you use then there’s nothing to clean with bleach compared to glass lily’s. The best use of the double taps with plastic/stainless is to create short enough sections that can uncouple, then be cleaned with a pipe brush whilst stuck together. Most easily done submerged in a bath of warm water. Takes seconds to dismantle and reassemble, shortening the time the filter is off on your tank.

I’d use double taps but they are expensive now and I already have a pair of singles.

Eheim double taps have always been expensive, but have a pair that have been on every tank. Like their classic filters, they will end up in your final will. They don’t break thanks to quality thermoset plastic, so good value for money and appear to last decades without any special treatment.

I’ve got two sets of double taps on the tanks at the moment in 12/16mm as they make hose cleaning so much easier. I rarely use the shutoff valves on the filter or disconnect the manifold.

Back