• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filter for Betta

MMonis

I got a refurbished Superfish Qubiq 30 Pro aquarium with stock filter, heater and light.

I plan to house a Betta in it and realized that the stock filter is not something that I can use. I was looking around the internet but couldn't find some definitive answers.
Tank dimensions: L 32 x B 32 x H 42,5
Tank size: 30 litres
Light: 12v 5W LED (white and blue)
Soil: Tropica aquarium soik
Plants: only easy category
Fish: Betta and (either a few panda corys or shrimps)

I would like to choose only a HOB or sponge filter since I would like to avoid an internal filter (to keep more space internally for the Betta to swim and for aesthetics) and external canister filter (since I do not have the space for it).
Any suggestions for a filter that :
  • Recommended to work well with Bettas for flow adjustment and avoiding injuries
  • sufficient filteration and flow
  • doesnt affect the growth of plants
  • doesnt suck in shrimps
Would love to hear what other betta tanks are using as filters out here :)

Have a look at turbo filter 500.
Can be used in different configurations.
Powerhead,cannister,cannister with sponge..or just sponge.
Comes with a little duck bill attachment and an optional venturi.
£25

I did some further digging around and 2 other brands popped up: AquaClear 20 and Seachem Tidal 35.
Seems like these are also very suitable for bettas and many folks have been using them.

Hi all,

These look really well made (they are Sicce pumps, licensed to Seachem). The only thing I didn't like was that I don't think that you can't put a pre-filter sponge on them and I don't see how you can keep them shrimp safe.

cheers Darrel
Seen some youtube videos where they have added some sponges or insect net to the intake and skimmer parts to make them shrimp safe. Here is one of the videos Seachem Tidal 35 shrimp safe mod

Hi all,
Seen some youtube videos where they have added some sponges or insect net to the intake and skimmer parts to make them shrimp safe.
I don't really like anything with a surface skimmer arrangement, partially because I'm a <"floating plant obsessive">, but also because they tend to capture shrimps and fry etc.

If I buy a HOB (and <"I like HOBs">) I throw away all the inserts and add a big <"pre-filter sponge to the intake">.

I'm still using an <"Eheim Aquacompact filter">, which is a sort of hybrid canister and HOB filter. I just put a bit of coarse sponge in the intake strainer and 2/3 filled it with <"Eheim "coco-pops">.

They are really ugly, but they work OK and are very low maintenance.

cheers Darrel

I don't really like anything with a surface skimmer arrangement, partially because I'm a <"floating plant obsessive">, but also because they tend to capture shrimps and fry etc.
I would love to keep some floating plants but not a necessity.
I'm still using an <"Eheim Aquacompact filter">, which is a sort of hybrid canister and HOB filter. I just put a bit of coarse sponge in the intake strainer and 2/3 filled it with <"Eheim "coco-pops">.
I don't have the space for something external, hence looking for a HOB filter.

My primary goal is the safety and well being of the betta. I can choose to not have shrimps in it and instead maybe a few panda corys (yet again not a must). As long as a HOB or internal (provided they do not take up much space inside the tank and have adjustable flow) filter is good and safe enough for a betta that would be fine :)

Seen some youtube videos where they have added some sponges or insect net to the intake and skimmer parts to make them shrimp safe. Here is one of the videos Seachem Tidal 35 shrimp safe mod
Hi all,

These look really well made (they are Sicce pumps, licensed to Seachem). The only thing I didn't like was that I don't think that you can't put a pre-filter sponge on them and I don't see how you can keep them shrimp safe.

cheers Darrel
Interesting mod. But I am not sure its necessary for the Tidal 35 in particular. I use two Tidal 35 in the tank where I keep shrimp (probably well over 100 by now of various sizes) and I use two in my other 40 Gl tank as well. I didn't do the mod and I never found a shrimp or shrimplet inside the filter - I was worried about that initially and checked often. My experience with the tidal 35 has been good so far (about two years). Very easy to maintain, quiet (no rattle) and can be adjusted. The surface skimmer "feature" build into the Tidal 35 is not doing much of anything in terms of suction or harm as far as I can tell. It won't even suck up flake food or duckweed (another concern)- it might just provide enough to remove surface film however. Also, the Tidal 35 might still be a little too much for the OP's 30 L tank. Personally, I would go with a smaller footprint, but since the Tidal can be adjusted it should certainly work.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
I am very tempted to buy one to add to my <"mountain of unused filters">.
Yes, it might be a nice addition to the mountain :). In just the brief few years since I rebooted the hobby I can't believe how much unused stuff I have accumulated already - various HOB's, skimmers, heaters, air pumps, UV filters, filter media, fertilizers/chemicals etc.

Cheers,
Michael

Also, the Tidal 35 might still be a little too much for the OP's 30 L tank. Personally, I would go with a smaller footprint, but since the Tidal can be adjusted it should certainly work.
Yes it surely will be an overkill but I wouldn't mind getting a higher capacity filter with an adjustable flow as I can always upgrade to a bigger tank in the future ;) and could then use it for this purpose.

Yes it surely will be an overkill but I wouldn't mind getting a higher capacity filter with an adjustable flow as I can always upgrade to a bigger tank in the future ;) and could then use it for this purpose.
Agreed. Yes, on that note... back in the day when I had big tanks and external canister filters I always bought the biggest filters I could afford with the inevitable tank upgrade in mind. For me, with HOB's, it's somewhat of a tradeoff between space constraints, aesthetics and efficiency. They are kind of obtrusive - more so on a small tank.

Cheers,
Michael

Back