• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filter for 80 to 110 gal planted tank.

roadmaster

Good day from across the pond,
I am currently running one Eheim 2217 on 80 US gallon low light ,NON CO2, heavily planted tank and am wanting to utilize a larger filter for increased circulation throughout the tank.

Don't really have any complaint's with current filter, but am planning on larger 110 gal come spring, and rather than run two of the cheaper Eheim 2217's,, I am considering the fluval FX5, Marineland C530,or Rena XP4 or possibly a larger Eheim.
I am in hopes that those here can offer some pros/con's or guidance for best bang for my tightly grasped dollars.
Many thank's in advance, from planted fish tank junkie.
Ohh,fishes will be small tetra like fishes as opposed to larger waste producer's. 8)

I've got a couple of Eheim external filters in my tank which is a similar size (slightly smaller). I can't remember exactly which ones they are, but they're pretty big things. I added a power head as well to increase flow further. If you don't want to fork out for a new external filter, maybe you could try powerheads instead? I've heard a lot of good things about Koralia powerhead pumps but I can't vouch for them myself. I have an eheim powerhead that works well. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply's. :thumbup:
I have a couple of the Koralia powerheads and don't much like them in the planted tank from aesthetic standpoint but the plecos I keep love the extra flow they cretae so I use them in that tank.
Think I may go with the FX5 for I very much like the idea of using it for removing water.
Seldom vaccum the substrate in planted tank and if flow proves too muchfor the small tetra's and pencilfish,,I can alway's move the filter to the pleco tank.
Can't quite swing the funds for the Eheim right now,just spent a fair amount on new tires for my old truck.

roadmaster said:
Thanks for the reply's. :thumbup:
I have a couple of the Koralia powerheads and don't much like them in the planted tank from aesthetic standpoint but the plecos I keep love the extra flow they cretae so I use them in that tank.
Think I may go with the FX5 for I very much like the idea of using it for removing water.
Seldom vaccum the substrate in planted tank and if flow proves too muchfor the small tetra's and pencilfish,,I can alway's move the filter to the pleco tank.
Can't quite swing the funds for the Eheim right now,just spent a fair amount on new tires for my old truck.

Or just turn down the flow ;0)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back