• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ferts, other nitrate salts

mohamed elsorahy

Seedling
HI EVERY BODY
i am Mohamed from Egypt
we have restrictions on the nitrates salts purchasing
i want to go through doing my own ferts from some terrestrial plants ferts
do you have suggestions material?

Hello,
It's very unfortunate that there is a restriction. There are alternate compounds that will work, such as fertilizers containing Urea and ammonia, but you have to be VERY careful when using these types of product. Misunderstanding or careless use can result in algal blooms and can kill your fish.

That's why it's not a good idea to give you advice on which products until we can see exactly what products you have available for terrestrial plant foods.

Can you provide product names or provide photographs of the ingredients in English?

Cheers,

thank you very much
fertilizers i have already that contain N
UREA= 46% total N
DAP - DI AMMONIUM PHOSPHATE - 46% Total N
UAN - UREA AMMONIUM NITRATE (Liquid) total N 32 %
NPK- without guaranteed % of each ( sometimes 20-20-20)

and i have this salt " ammonium ferrous sulfate "

thank you very much
fertilizers i have already that contain N
UREA= 46% total N
DAP - DI AMMONIUM PHOSPHATE - 46% Total N
UAN - UREA AMMONIUM NITRATE (Liquid) total N 32 %
NPK- without guaranteed % of each ( sometimes 20-20-20)

and i have this salt " ammonium ferrous sulfate "
No good as both urea and ammonium salts are toxic to fish. Great for plants though.

Hi Mohamed,
None of these products are ideal for fish, however the best choice for Nitrogen, of the ones you listed is the Urea. The toxicity is much more likely to occur if the pH of your tank water is 7 or higher.

You also did not mention if your tank is CO2 injected or not. This will make all the difference.
If you are using CO2 then this will drive the pH below 7. You can dissolve 3 grams of Urea in 1 liter of water and dose 1 ml of this mixture per 50 L of tank water 3 times per week. This takes care of N, but P and K will need to come from a different source.
If you cannot find another source of P or K then you can use the 20-20-20 in very small amounts (I haven't done any calculations because the numbers do not tell you what salt comprises the numbers).

If you are not using CO2 then you can still use the Urea but you have to use even smaller amounts, like 0.3 grams to 1 L and you only dose this once a week or once every two weeks. Please note that the higher your pH the more toxic this will be.

I really don't like to recommend using these fertilizers because as other posters have mentioned, it's so easy to kill your fish if you make a mistake, and, you can also induce algal blooms if you are not careful. However, since you have no other option it might be worth a try.

Cheers,

thank you guys for your support
from what i understand so far
that the most suitable fert from what i have is urea but with restriction regarding pH for the healthy of live stock in the aquarium
so
in fish less aquarium there is no threats although can have algal blooming
i think i will prepare a small tank for my experiments :)

Hi Mohamed,

You also did not mention if your tank is CO2 injected or not. This will make all the difference.

If you are not using CO2 then you can still use the Urea but you have to use even smaller amounts, like 0.3 grams to 1 L and you only dose this once a week or once every two weeks. Please note that the higher your pH the more toxic this will be.

NO CO2 injected
just liquid carbon ( glutaraldehyde 1.6 %)

I believe you can actually make Potassium Nitrate from stuff you can buy from your local store. Not sure how much you would be able to make and would depend on the size of your tank whether it would be cost effective. You can use instant Ice packs which contain Ammonium Nitrate and mix with Lo Salt alternative products which contain Potassium instead of Chloride. Once crystallised the end result is Potassium Nitrate. Can you not find anywhere that will dissolve the KNO3 into water then send you the container?

No easy answer, the UK has a ban on potassium nitrate sales to domestic users. Other nitrate salts still available. Good luck with your experimental tank.

This is incorrect. There is a ban on corrosive liquids to under 18's and identification must be sought by the seller as to identify who bought what on what day and at what shop. If you buy online the seller automatically has your ID as sites like amazon and ebay have age limits in order to have an account and your address is supplied on the receipt.

Funny story - a guy bought 50kg of KNO3 online delivered to his house in the UK and the police turned up at his door three days later asking why he bought so much fertiliser >_<

As per the OP - the only other source I use personally for N is MGNO3

Although regulated, ammonium nitrate isn't too hard to find if you know a farmer.

This is incorrect.
Hope is so, did a a quick on line search found only suppliers willing to deal with limited companies not individuals. Many sites indicated pot nitrate for sale but search engines only hit on 'nitrate'. With a friends network there are opportunities for work arounds but relations are getting tighter on many useful reagents ie stuff that works. Could you please send me a link to a dealer that sells pot nitrate to individuals.

I believe you can actually make Potassium Nitrate
Easiest way but fraught with hazards and costs is to neutralize pot hydroxide, available from eBay, with nitric acid, not readily available, easier to get pot nitrate. A post from HiNtZ says you can buy pot nitrate. I only did a quick internet search. Like you I have been looking at relative solubilities. As a kid of 12yr I used to make my own sodium hydroxide from my Dad's garden lime and Mum's washing soda. I am in no rush as I have some lab grade left and friends in low places, but things appear to becoming tighter. [Off topic, still got the spanners on the central heating]

Could you please send me a link to a dealer that sells pot nitrate to individuals.

I'm getting confused now, are we talking about in Egypt? Most of our sponsors sell Pot Nitrate to individuals in the UK

I'm getting confused now
The UK.
On GOV.UK site: Supplying Explosive Precursors and Poisons as of 1st July 2018 the following are:

1.2 Reportable substances
Explosive precursors:
ammonium nitrate, acetone, hexamine, potassium nitrate, (my italics & bold) sodium nitrate, calcium nitrate, calcium ammonium nitrate, aluminium powders, magnesium powders, magnesium nitrate hexahydrate.

I think some suppliers are just saying pot nitrate is banned because they do not want the paper work or are erring on the side of caution. There is chatter on the eBay suppliers site that is treating mud on this. I do not know what is involved with 'Reportable substances'. Perhaps keeping a record of customers & advertising the use of pot nitrate for food use or as a fertilizer and selling it small amounts complies with the regs I do not know but for instance Hydrogen Peroxide stronger than 12% you need a license. I buy mine at 11% no license.

Some eBay sellers are selling pot nitrate but one company that I have done business with in the past and has a small ebay presence no longer offers it and will only sell to limited companies from its main site. With other suppliers its business as usual.

I do know about the Law of Unintended Consequences and it is a pain.

Some eBay sellers are selling pot nitrate but one company that I have done business with in the past and has a small ebay presence no longer offers it and will only sell to limited companies from its main site. With other suppliers its business as usual.

Yeah I think that's just Ebay's policy but for all other online shops it's business as usual. Not sure if they have any restrictions on quants but you seem to be able to buy in 500g bags as many as you want. http://www.aquariumplantfood.co.uk/fertilisers/dry-chemicals/dry-salts/potassium-nitrate-kno3.html

Why don't you use the 20-20-20 in small amounts under a 2mm grained sand cap (3cm)? You should be able to grow many plants using this method.

K2SO4/Ca SO4 should be available as garden fertilisers.

Back