• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Feedback on Forum Upgrade

not a massive fan tbh for some reason struggling to find threads / navigate (yes yes i know even though its just a forum) and so much white makes it hard to read strange i've actually visited less since the upgrade than i would in a single day before :(

not a massive fan tbh for some reason struggling to find threads / navigate
What are you struggling with? Could be something easy to point in the right direction.

Paulo you are a godsend, that is exactly what I needed.
Yeah its all there, just need to point you guys in the right direction ;)

Have to say, I think this is a massive step forward. Was a bit complicated at first but have got the hang now. Looks lovely too.
Many thanks for the feedback, that what I have been told by various members, once used to it its a massive improvement, but does take getting used to it ;)

What are you struggling with? Could be something easy to point in the right direction.

i genuinely have no clue whats wrong i just can't seem to get along with it at all no clue why it is after all pretty much the same as any other forum out there cats / threads / posts etc. I just can't seem to get on with it

Hinch,
If like me you had difficulty with the white background then try switching to the Dark style. On the far lower left you should see a bar with the phrase "UKAPS Light". Just click that and then you will see the option to select "UKAPS Dark". The Dark background makes a HUGE difference in readability and in ergonomics.

On the very top is a button that says "What's New?". That replaces the "Show Unread Posts" in the old software.

If you are having trouble finding posts, it might be because the search box defaults to "Search only in This Forum" It took me a while to realize that I had to uncheck the dropdown box for this so that the search would look at all forum sections, not just the one you were in at the time of the search. Then, to do an advanced search, you have to click the "More" button and then Advanced Search appears.

Hey Paulo, that brings up the issue of the button labeling. Why not just have the button labeled "Advanced Search", since clicking "More" simply takes you to the Advanced Search function, where there are more choices and clicking? It's the same when writing a post. The "More Options" leads only to the "Preview Post" function. Why not have the button simply say "Preview Post"? The "Post Reply" button ought to be labled "Submit Post", because, due to habit from the previous software, the initial tendency is to click "Post Reply" in order to access the reply function, so you wind up launching a blank post until it dawns on you that you just have to enter the text and hit the button. I think people who struggle with this software do so because it now requires two or three clicks to do something that used to be a single click, and those extra clicks are not labeled in the way they might have imagined. All these are minor issues but they have a cumulative effect that can be slightly off-putting.

The issue of searching leads into another heartburn I have in that a lot of times, when writing a post, it's desired to reference another link or thread. When you have typed in a partial response and then navigate away from the page to search for the thread, the text that you've type disappears when you return. I see a "draft saved" flashing at the bottom of the post pane but I'm not able to retrieve the draft. This never happened before with the old software. you could go off into space and when you found what you were looking for you just had keep hitting the "Back" button until you returned to the thread where your post would be still waiting for you, fully intact.

Cheers,

Hey Paulo, that brings up the issue of the button labeling. Why not just have the button labeled "Advanced Search", since clicking "More" simply takes you to the Advanced Search function, where there are more choices and clicking?
On the main menu there is already a button called "Search Forums" that is the Advanced Search.

The "More Options" leads only to the "Preview Post" function. Why not have the button simply say "Preview Post"? The "Post Reply" button ought to be labled "Submit Post"
The more options are there if want to follow or watch a post. If you set the watch preferences on the profile as mentioned earlier there is no need to access more options and you just reply on the bottom of the post all the time, which makes it much easier and less clicks.

When you have typed in a partial response and then navigate away from the page to search for the thread, the text that you've type disappears when you return. I see a "draft saved" flashing at the bottom of the post pane but I'm not able to retrieve the draft.
All you need to do is click on the last icon of the first row to retrieve the content, it remembers it for an hour. you can browse away to other posts, you can move to the next page, you can always retrieve it.

can the little text "reply" on posts be changed to an image button that says "quote" or "quote post" something like that took me 10 minutes to find out to quote your previous posts :(

OK, Lets try this and see if it works. blah blah blah enter text and then go away.

OK , the little green down arrow is called "Restore Auto Saved Content".

Cool!:)

Thanks mate.

Cheers,

No prob Paulo, like you say not critical and we can read the names and know who they are by now!
Managed to get this sorted ;) now you can see the colour of Admins and Experts displaying properly on the thread and forum list!

can the little text "reply" on posts be changed to an image button that says "quote" or "quote post" something like that took me 10 minutes to find out to quote your previous posts :(
If you select the text you want to quote a "Quote ME!" button should pop up and just click on it:

quotehg.png

This uses javascript so its browser dependent and due to the nature of mobile/tablet browsers won't work on monile devices.

Managed to get this sorted ;) now you can see the colour of Admins and Experts displaying properly on the thread and forum list!
Ah thats better, thanks!

"All you need to do is click on the last icon of the first row to retrieve the content, it remembers it for an hour. you can browse away to other posts, you can move to the next page, you can always retrieve it."

Paulo, i know you have explained this to me before, and here again, but i just cant work it, i dont see a green arrow and have never been able to auto restore/retreive?

Paulo, i know you have explained this to me before, and here again, but i just cant work it, i dont see a green arrow and have never been able to auto restore/retreive?
You will only see it if you type some content in reply box, if you leave it empty then its grayed out, as you type you will see the words "draft saved" blinking on the bar at the footer of the reply box. Once the draft its saved the recovery of text will be possible and the last icon on the first row will become green.

Is it possible to make ukaps light a bit less, y'know, light? I know there's not much in it between here and asw but I feel snow blind after a short while on the new theme, it seems much brighter?

Why is Garufs Avatar pic everywhere?
Have noticed some odd behaviour on the iPad, possibly the way the browser handles some code!

Back